Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Good Afternoon,

Car: 2002 Boxster S w88k miles

Problem: appears front trunk (frunk) micro-switch has died. Actually I can here it actuate but not enough to unlock the trunk. Problem #1 is getting it open to address the micro-switch. The manual opening lanyard is in its factory position under the right front headlamp assembly. So how to open the "frunk"? Problem #2 is the repair procedure to replace the micro-switch.

So what to do?

Thanks for any time and attention to this VERY frustrating issue!!!!

Kurt
Post Falls, ID
Can you have a helper work the key or the trunk unlock switch and see if you can push down on the trunk lid at the latch to remove some of the load and enough to perhaps let the latch then work and unlock the trunk?

If not then you'll have to access the cable release and manually pull the latch and unlock the trunk.

Never had to replace a front/rear trunk switch or latch mechanism so I can't offer anything other than to remind you if you do this yourself it is important you keep the "factory" set front trunk lid leading edge position -- a fraction of an inch *below* the trailing edge of the front bumper cover -- the same. If you end up with the leading edge of the front trunk higher wind noise -- or water ingress in to the front trunk -- is going to be a problem.
Either that, or the mini and dodge (did you get s dodge?) forums are no fun. winking smiley
boxtaboy
Either that, or the mini and dodge (did you get s dodge?) forums are no fun. winking smiley

Miss the Boxster a bit, to be sure. Don't miss the cost of servicing/maintenance, though. For example: $399 oil/filter services have been replaced by sub $100 oil/filter services. My bank balance is growing nicely now that I'm not spending on average several hundred dollars (or more) per month on Porsche service/repairs. (To be sure most of this was due to the Turbo though.)

(The downside to a growing bank balance is my sister has been emailing links to houses for sale around where she lives wanting me to buy a retirement place. While I plan on buying a retirement home I'm just not ready to buy yet. And with work schedule demands I have no time to go look at houses. Pretty much my schedule is M-F get up go to work, go home go to bed. Weekends I do laundry and rest. Oh, I have resumed riding my bicycle in the evenings and on weekends after the heat of the day is gone.)

The Mini forums are ok, I just don't have much to contribute. Nor have I needed any help. So far the Mini has been just great -- granted with not quite 8K miles on it -- so I have not needed to seek any guidance on any issues.

Likewise, the Dodge forums are ok. No problems with the Hellcat with just over 5K miles. Oh I had a question about that goofy uConnect feature (buggy) and the nagging alerts (storm, cold, heat, etc. advisories) from the Sirius radio to the point I finally contacted Dodge customer service and learned the Sirius number I needed to call to have the weather alerts shut off.

When one pops up it fills the entire uConnect display and one has to reach over - and take his eyes off the road (!) -- and touch the screen to dismiss the alert. As for that touch screen interface: I have already made it known to Dodge what I think should be done to the engineer/designer who felt a touch screen interface in a car was a good idea. By way of comparison with the JCW the iDrive interface to the car's various electronic features is just a fantastic interface. No leaning over and having to take my eyes off the road to touch the screen/display. Just reach down between the seats and push, turn or move sideways a knob, and one can access whatever one needs.

Anyhow, I occasionally find a subject/thread on one of the Dodge forums for which I have something to contribute. There's a difference between having years of experience with a car vs. just months of experience with a car. (I did own a Dodge D200 pickup some years ago and rebuilt its engine but that engine and the one in Hellcat are like night and day.)
$399 for an oil and filter charge now? I guess I’m lucky I don’t take mine to the dealer for oil changes anymore. I do for our other 2 vehicles and it’s not that pricey for an oil change. Good to hear you are having a good experience so far with the mini and hellcat.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login