Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Roof latch
marty - 5 years ago
The roof latch on my boxster has started clucking when I drive over a sharp pot hole.

Is it possible to tighten the latch grip?

Marty (UK) 1999 Boxster 2.5 manual
Check both the latch and receptacle for wear.
There should be none.
Also, the top may need a bit of tensiĆ³n it it closes completely without use of the latch.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Roof latch
marty - 5 years ago
With the roof locked if you hit the underside of the latch with your hand, the lever part moves a bit and clunks.

Would tensioning the soft top stop this? If so, where do I adjust it?
... before engaging the latch, is the edge of the top touching the top of the windshield pillar?
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

It is, yes. It hadn't used to, and when you un latched it, it used to spring open slightly.
... Put the top in service mode (open about 18").
Disconnect both of the cables that secure the back end of the top.
You'll notice that the ball joints where the two cables connect have a 13 mm nut above.
Loosen (lefty) each one by 3 full turns. It's counter-intuitive. Loosen nut to tighten top.
Connect the cables and close the top.
It should be better, but may need more or less tension.
Adjust as required.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Hi Pedro,

I have adjusted both cable tensioners by 5 turns. The roof stops just short of touching the back of the 'screen now. Will be driving later so fingers crossed!

Thanks for the info. Nothing about it in my Bentley manual...

Marty (UK) 1999 Boxster 2.5 manual
Pedro Bonilla

Fantastic! It's sorted!
Hi Pedro,

I wonder if I need to tighten those 13mm nuts? I had a new top installed a few weeks ago. The installer said the top needed to stay closed for the first 7 days to stretch the canvas, which I did. And then I did again for 5 days or so. The top only comes within about an inch of the winsdscreen frame. It's slightly easier to close and latch since day 1, but is still a two handed operation to get the latch engaged (where the micro-switch is located) and closed.

In addition, I am now noticing the cable on the drivers side is coming out of its "channel" a bit and is on the outboard side the top frame when I close it. I am planning on taking it back to the installer to rectify. I'm still very happy with the top, though.

Gary

Gary

2003 Boxster Base - Midnight Blue Metallic, Savanna Beige, Metropol Blue
... you may need to loosen the top a bit by tightening the bolts.
If the cable is coming out on either side the elastic band that pulls it in is not installed correctly.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Re: Gary...
grc0456 - 5 years ago
Thanks, Pedro. Tightening those rear bolts did the trick. I wondered what they were for! The latch closes much easier, but I left it a bit on the tight side to keep it taut.

The over-riding problem on the side frame was an easy fix, too. The top was purchased from Robbins in CA. They were bought several years ago by GAHH, and use their A5 Sonneland material. Unlike the OEM top with it's elastic strap that is attached to the frame by a small Torx screw, the aftermarket top uses a simple fabric strap that is attached to the frame with a Velro wrap around. I just re-wrapped it to make it tighter. Worked a charm.

Gary

2003 Boxster Base - Midnight Blue Metallic, Savanna Beige, Metropol Blue
Lew - 5 years ago
My 04 top closes properly, however when closed the front of the top where it touches the windshield frame makes a popping/cracking noise now and then when on a bumpy road. Maybe some type of lubricant on the top edge of the windshield frame would stop the cracking and popping noise. It's apparently is caused by movement and friction rub.
Anker - 5 years ago
Gummipflege will eliminate the creaking!
Lew - 5 years ago
Thanks for the tip. I looked it up and watch a demo about it. A little pricy but that's OK, I'll give it a try....thanks again!

Lew
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login