Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Hello All - first post.

I've acquired a bit of a tired 99 MT boxster that has a physically damaged ECU in the trunk (plastic cracked/pins bent), Cheap as it doesn't run :-) I've seen lots of threads on immobilizers needing to be replaced and the ECU and key (if I understood correctly) needing to be re-programmed.

My question in this case is whether

1) used ECUs are cheap (down in the 150-200 range), as I assume they are of minimal utility without the immobilizer and key
2) Can I purchase a 99 MT ECU and have it programmed such that I can continue to use my factory key and immobilizer? Or does it only work the other way around (new immobilizer with original ecu)

The ECU would be from a salvage yard so I don't know how to get the porsche "code" that Identifies the box, or can it be retrieved with the PIWIS or other factory tool

Other considerations

- Not worried about the alarm system, door handles, power locks, top or anything else other than the basics of lights, engine, ABS etc as if I can get it running it will be gutted and become a track car or get sold as a track car.
- I have the notarized title and registration to prove ownership to dealer or Indy
- my Indy has both the PIWIS and the new tool, but hasn't done this before - any idea what either tool would call it? He's going to give me the buddy hookup if he can figure it out.

Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login