Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I have a 2001 BoxsterS with approx 59K miles on it. I am taking the
car to my independent mechanic to replace torn CV boots. I was thinking
about having them do the AOS too as a preventative measure. Since I think
I'm close to the point of just waiting for it to go bad. I'll have them do it if it's
not too expensive or I'll bite the bullet and do it myself. I have a couple of questions.

1: What is the consensus about going with an after market AOS to save money.
Do you think they are equal to the Porsche part? I certainly do not want to have
to redo it because an after market part just didn't last long.

2: I read that it's easier to just cut the bellows (bottom tube) to get the old one out
of the car. Since the new one comes with a new bellows it's OK to do this. Also,
I read that the remote clamp pliers are pretty much junk. One guy said he had a
mini pair of vice grips that worked.

3: Is it recommended to replace the clamp on the bellows with a regular clamp, so that
the next time you have to replace it, it's a lot easier?

4: How difficult is it to reattach the bottom tube once the AOS is bolted in? Does it pretty
much slide right in?

5: If I do this now, then I don't have to worry about oil that got into the intake manifold, so
I don't have to take the throttle body out and all the stuff outlined in Pedro's instructions.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.
My responses
Boxsterra - 5 years ago
1. You can get the Porsche part for $111 (e.g. [www.autohausaz.com]). How much are you expecting to save?
2. No need to cut the bellows. Use hose clamp pliers. The remote ones aren't junk unless you get a bad quality one.
3. The spring clamp is much easier to deal with than a screw type clamp. Access is a little limited and you don't want to try to screw the clamp in at an awkward angle. With the spring clamp, you position it, then release the pliers. You can also get a little plastic piece that holds the clamp open until you pull of the piece (e.g. [www.autohausaz.com])
4. It pretty much slides in but you need to visually inspect it (I use a mirror) to make sure it's all the way on all the way around.
5. Do it now. It will go bad and it's much easier to do it on your time schedule, not when it decides to strand you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2018 03:21PM by Boxsterra. (view changes)
Even if you replace the AOS you should also clean the throttle body. The TB doesn't just get dirty when an AOS fails.
Soot will stick to the butterfly will coat the insides of the TB and intake manifolds.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I was watching a video last night that helped a lot.

1: I decided to go with the Porsche AOS.

2: I saw a hint about opening the clam shell all the way up that gives
you a lot more room to work. The guy had a blanket on the trunk
and was laying on it to do a lot of the work.

3: I didn't know about getting the hose clamp with the plastic tab that holds
it open. Then once positioned you just pull the tab and the clamp closes.
That will definitely make things a lot easier. When did they come out with
the clamp with the tab? I haven't seen any mention of this anywhere else.

4: Where do I get a good quality remote clamp pliers? You could cut the hose,but
I agree it's better to use the hose clamp pliers, as you are doing things by feel
and don't want to mess something up.

5: I'm not sue but our independent mechanic in the south bay,CA. may be out of business.
I talked to someone there on the phone and he told me the story of what is going
on, and I'm still waiting for a call back. So this would lead me to doing the AOS
myself. Also, may end up having to have the dealer do the torn CV boots.

6: Pedro, I do know about periodically cleaning the TB. First time was when my idle
started to wander some. Good idea about doing it as I will have the engine bay open,
which most of us hardly ever do.

7: It looks like the hardest hose is going to be the middle one. Getting in there to get it off.
This is where I expect to do most of the cursing and swearing. There are 2 electrical
connectors in the way. I see on one you can undo a bolt to move it aside. I can't see
where the bolt is for the other connector though. I'm sure it would help if you could move
both to be able to get to the hose connector and apply pressure.
My two cents
grant - 5 years ago
Larry Nakamura

1: What is the consensus about going with an after market AOS to save money.
Do you think they are equal to the Porsche part? I certainly do not want to have
to redo it because an after market part just didn't last long.

--> Porsche doesn't make them anyway. Get a good aftermarket, ideally the one that supplies Porsche.

2: I read that it's easier to just cut the bellows (bottom tube) to get the old one out
of the car. Since the new one comes with a new bellows it's OK to do this. Also,
I read that the remote clamp pliers are pretty much junk. One guy said he had a
mini pair of vice grips that worked.

--> i dont see the benefit of this. I also find a good, remote clamp pliers set is a lifesaver. I bought (cannot recall which) craftsman or Lisle.
remote is always fiddly, but you WANT them.

3: Is it recommended to replace the clamp on the bellows with a regular clamp, so that
the next time you have to replace it, it's a lot easier?

--> meh. I slid the original back in with the pliers.

4: How difficult is it to reattach the bottom tube once the AOS is bolted in? Does it pretty
much slide right in?
--> that's hardly the problem. My biggest headache was pushing the lower solid tube into the block with no leverage.

5: If I do this now, then I don't have to worry about oil that got into the intake manifold, so
I don't have to take the throttle body out and all the stuff outlined in Pedro's instructions.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login