Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I had developed a lifter tic several years ago. It started one winter and continued into the summer. It was especially bothersome during the colder months. I finally read a post by Jake Raby saying that he had used MMO and saved "many an engine" so don't knock it. Anyway, did my research and discovered MMO a petroleum based naptha distillate that is essentially a solvent. Obviously, I was hesitant to put it in my engine but decided to try it as the tic was getting worse. I always change my oil at 3,000 miles and use Motul 8100 x-cess 5w-40. So, I drained about 1 quart of oil, put 4 oz in a full gas tank and the remainder in the oil. I ran it for 500 miles and then did an oil change. Amazing, but there was NO ticking sound after the oil change. I repeat this process about every third or fourth oil change and have had no problems at all with ticking reoccurring.

Anyone do this?
My car (with 190k+ miles) was a bit more tick-y than I liked. A common problem for this is clogged lifter oil passages (which are tiny). I used 2 bottles (each is good for up to 6 quarts of oil) Liqui Moly Hydraulic Lifter Additive (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096Y6XPC/) and the problem was 100% solved.

With this product there is no need to change the oil after. In fact they say you should put it in after changing your oil.
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Periodic
Boxsterra - 5 years ago
Once every 150k miles smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2018 04:01PM by Boxsterra. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login