Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
The procedure in the owner's manual seems rather complicated, so I wonder if anyone has done the headlight bulb replacement themselves. I was surprised that the entire headlight assembly needs to be removed from the car by pulling from the front after proper steps have been taken to free it from the car.
It’s been the same since the introduction of the Boxster in 1997.
Actually removing the assembly to replace a bulb is a lot easier than with most other cars such as BMW or Mercedes Benz.

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Thanks. I just wanted to check to see if there were any precautions not mentioned in the manual.

Steve
it can be a bit tricky to catch the mounting tracks on the platform inside the fender. Move the unit into place gingerly. Also, and I believe this was my experience with changing a parking lights in the units, it won't light, even if the electrical connector is in, unless it's fully home. (But doesn't have to be locked in.) By the way, the 986's locking mechanism's closing detente can make a pretty disconcerting snapping noise.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Right now i"m having trouble finding the socket that is supposed to be in the tool kit!
I've decided to let the dealer do it. I thought I would try to use my own socket, but I had trouble removing the side carpeting. I'm sure it's easy enough given the right technique but I am reluctant to experiment and force things.
Good judgement. *NM*
Laz - 5 years ago
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2018 04:22PM by Laz. (view changes)
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
The dealer mounted the bulb which I had purchased the day before for a cost of just $34.95 labor and included a complimentary car wash! The fact that it's a 5mm socket explains why I couldn't find the socket myself. The socket itself is a small hex in the end of a circular rod. The illustration in the owner's manual is definitely misleading. This still leaves the necessity of working on the headlight after it has been removed from the fender with dangling wires attaching it to the car. I consider the labor charge probably the best $34.95 I have ever spent.
Re: UPDATE
frogster - 5 years ago
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans)
This still leaves the necessity of working on the headlight after it has been removed from the fender with dangling wires attaching it to the car.

i know nothing about the 987 but to the best of my recollection, my MY2000 986 didn't have any wires to connect or disconnect. there were contacts, no plugs or wires..
the first time i changed a bulb took a little while to figure out but once you do it, it's super easy. could do it blindfolded.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Yep. I bought some bulbs on Amazon and replaced the bulbs last year...here's my recollection:
You stick the tool through the hole in the trunk and when you turn it, the entire headlight assembly pops out.
You can then remove it, replace the bulb, and reverse the procedure, twisting to lock it back in place.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login