Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I have a 2002 Boxster S that I enjoy very much. I now have an opportunity to purchase a 2005 Boxster S 6-speed car that was in standing (fresh) water up to the bottom of the doors. It's an incredibly beautiful car, much nicer than my 2002. It runs like a top, but does have two issues. The drivers door window no longer operates, and the top no longer operates. Seeing that the motors and switches that control both are way above where the water reached, I am assuming that perhaps this car has an immobilizer in the same location as the 986's do, and it's an immobilizer issue? What do you guys think? There is so much information available on 986's, and so little available on 987's. I can't seem to get a handle on this. Can anyone on here (Pedro?) school me on the whats and wheres of 987 immobilizers and electronics that may have been affected by this? The power seat back motors work but the fore and aft adjustment motor on the drivers seat doesn't work. I assume that can be easily sourced and replaced too? Everything else about the car is absolutely pristine. The car is owned by a friend of a friend, and would be purchased for about 50% of it's blue book value, with only 56,000 miles on it.
The 987/997 has the central locking unit (aka: CLU and immobilizer box) under the driver's seat.
This unit controls the alarm, immobilizer, windows and convertible top.
Most likely water got to it.
My recommendation regarding flooded cars is to walk away from them.
Generally you can fix or replace a flooded CLU but gremlins will keep popping up for years after due to water damage to the connectors and wiring harnesses.
Your friend should claim it to the insurance who will probably total it.
I hate to see these beautiful cars go to the crusher but when flooded that's where they should end up.
YMMV.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login