Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I have noticed over the years that, occasionally, when I slowly decelerate and hold the clutch down to the floor I get a flicker of "Oil Pressure too Low". It goes away quickly and leaves no error code. I took it to Porsche once and they could not conclude anything. Any ideas?

"Bart, with $10,000, we'd be millionaires! We could buy all kinds of useful things like...love!"
r9i8c7k
I have noticed over the years that, occasionally, when I slowly decelerate and hold the clutch down to the floor I get a flicker of "Oil Pressure too Low". It goes away quickly and leaves no error code. I took it to Porsche once and they could not conclude anything. Any ideas?

The first thing would be to check the hot idle oil pressure with a reliable accurate oil pressure gauge. You want to be sure the oil pressure is ok.

If it is this then raises the possibility the oil pressure switch -- or the connection (more on this below) -- is the problem.

About the sensor connection/connector: I've never had an oil pressure warning light flicker but in data logging my Boxster's engine telemetry, specifically coolant temperature, I have upon occasion noticed a real high coolant temperature. Apparently the temperature sensor wiring/connector had some play/looseness that under certain conditions -- sharp turn on rough/rippled pavement -- the sensor connection was interrupted and as a result the reading would be such that it made the coolant temperature is high. The coolant gauge in the dash never reacted nor did I ever see a hot coolant warning light come on.

I never bothered to try to address this because except for seeing this in the engine telemetry data it never caused any problems.

'course, if something like this is going on with your car and oil pressure switch you probably want to determine this and fix it.

You might check the connector for looseness or if the wiring is loose and rubbing or perhaps just replace the sensor being doubly sure you connect the new sensor to the wiring harness connector properly.

If oil pressure is good and the sensor has been replaced and you continue to see this but only when the car is slowing -- do you see this if you put the brakes on hard from speed -- what might be going on is the oil sump baffling may have suffered a problem -- a baffle gate is hung up or stuck partially open or stuck closed/down -- and under slowing this allows the oil to move away from the pickup or prevents oil from flowing into the area around the oil pick up. However, to eliminate this would require the oil pan/plate be dropped.
If the gauge and pressure sensors are good, which I suspect, then:
1.- You may have a lazy oil pressure regulator
2.- You may have oil that's too "thin"
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login