Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Misfires CEL
vza - 5 years ago
Long story short. Did a bunch of work taking the cams out,replacing solenoid, IMS RMS,Clutch FW..... ran the car w/ lost timing....etc... Then had CEL for misfires, changed the MAF....misfires went over to the other bank. Then...I replaced my weak battery and haven' t thrown a CEL yet. I do however have pendings for misfires. Is it reasonable to say I'm in the clear and solved my problem and DME just has to relearn the fuel trims? Engine sounds great.... revved to 5000RPM's to burp engine after a coolant change and this where it always threw a CEL when revving. But none so far.Thanks V
Re: Misfires CEL
MarcW - 5 years ago
vza
Long story short. Did a bunch of work taking the cams out,replacing solenoid, IMS RMS,Clutch FW..... ran the car w/ lost timing....etc... Then had CEL for misfires, changed the MAF....misfires went over to the other bank. Then...I replaced my weak battery and haven' t thrown a CEL yet. I do however have pendings for misfires. Is it reasonable to say I'm in the clear and solved my problem and DME just has to relearn the fuel trims? Engine sounds great.... revved to 5000RPM's to burp engine after a coolant change and this where it always threw a CEL when revving. But none so far.Thanks V

Can't say you are in the clear just yet.

All I can advise at this time is to clear the codes, even though there are no active codes this will clear the pending codes, then just drive the car normally in a variety of usage styles like city stop/go, boulevard driving (moderate steady cruising speed), highway driving ("high" steady cruising speed). Be aware hard driving at this time can delay even cause the engine controller to abort the readiness test cycle. My experience with clearing the error codes and then getting the readiness monitors to their complete state is just following reasonable behavior with the car with a mix of driving -- which so happens that my about 30 miles home to work/work to home commute provides me the opportunity to engage in -- and the readiness monitors will all be set to complete before I've reached my destination.

Essentially you want to try to adhere to some close (enough) approximation of the OBD2 drive cycle to give the engine controller time to run all the readiness monitor tests and set these all to the complete. Provided of course the engine controller detects no problems.

Only when this occurs can you have some reasonable expectation you are in the clear. Then as time passes, and you continue to use the car, the longer the CEL remains dark, and the engine doesn't manifest any of the old (or any new) symptoms that you are in the clear becomes more and more likely.
Re: Misfires CEL
vza - 5 years ago
Well you are correct. Takes about 20 miles for the CEL to kick in. It's all over the place...misfires bank 1 then over to bank 2 ...back to bank 1 knock sensor(that's a 1st) cam alignment, cam plausible. I keep resetting it....fuel trims aren't as wide all closer to 0. It actually runs and sounds good though. Time to bring it in to an indie. Anyone know someone Bergen County NJ? Thanks v
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login