Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Headlamp Switch
vza - 5 years ago
Hi,Anyone know if the headlamp switch is serviceable...maybe using contact cleaner. One headlight intermittently goes on and off. It's not the ignition switch replaced both mechanical and electrical ignition already.Thanks V
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
inserted/secured in the tray in the fender. The light assembly needs to be pushed back with some force concurrent with the locking mechanism being turned to hold the headlight in place.

I had a problem with a Boxster headlight going dark while I was driving -- on a particularly rough stretch of I-40 east of Flagstaff -- and the headlight proved to be loose.

At some point with one of my cars i had to have the headlight switch replaced. I can't recall now if it was the Boxster or the Turbo, but if it was the Boxster -- the car that had the loose headlight -- the switch acted up years later long after the I "fixed" the loose headlight assembly.
Thanks will do....maybe its a loose assembly!!
+1
Boxsterra - 5 years ago
The brackets that hold the electrical connector into which the headlights plug have flex to them. So even if you push the headlight in properly, the electrical plug might not be secure.

To be sure that they are plugged in you can pull back the wheel well liner, reach your arm in, and push the plug on firmly while the headlight is locked into place.
Re: +1
vza - 5 years ago
Well I pulled the headlight and ALL the wires are crumbling...the insulation is just cracking off and some evidence of shorting going on....think that's what the problem is. Gona get some 18 gauge and a soldiering iron and make a new harness. v
It could be overheating. Do you have stock bulbs in there?
Re: Glad you found it
vza - 5 years ago
No... it actually has the Zenon upgrade kit which I guess is nice. Just bought the car in Aug so there's continuous suprises... . Think there were problems with wiring cause Germany was using biodegradable material of some sorts. Does any one know if there are gaskets available(one between body and assembly) also the rubber seal(that seals the bulbs into the casing) has degraded....can I use some sort of sealant or calking to seal it up so water stays out?? Thanks V
I have 200k miles on my Boxster, about 150k with the factory xenon upgrade kit. The headlights, gaskets, and wiring are all still in great condition.

I'm still guessing one or more of your bulbs is overheating.
Ehh....Everything is crumbling...every wire!! I'll be curious to see the other side....prob the same.
One bulb fits into a 2 prong clip the other (top) is hard wired and goes to the ballast, just wondering how I would change it if I had to. Dosen't look like it would come out of the socket! Long narrow bulb w/ external wire..
Previous owner installed Xennon upgrade available from pelican.. He decided to upgrade the highbeam only....The lowbem bulb is the standard H7 halogen.I would prefer to use the xennon as the lowbeam, any reason why I shouldn't rewire it for the lowbeam. Makes more sense being lowbeams are used more frequently when driving.v
Can anyone verify the top bulb is the lowbeam...thought it was the other way around. thanks v
The top position is the low beam.
The crumbling wire sheaths is very common in these cars.
Ive had to redo about 2 dozen headlight sets because the wires tend to short out.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
The factory xenon kit replaces the low beam only. The high beam is still a H7, which some people replace with hotter bulbs.
Re: +1
John Appling - 4 years ago
Are there any replacement harnesses for the wires in the headlight assembly?

I could just get some Polyolefin heat shrink in colors, snip wires near their ends, slip on two equal lengths of heat shrink, solder and shrink.
The vertical support holding the wiring to the headlight base had broken. I now have to manually attach the wires after mounting the headlight assembly.

To do that, i need to remove the wheel liner. It is a bit of a nuisance, but only required once in forever.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login