Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Okay need some input from the “wisdom” of the board. My trusty ‘06 987 has 151k mile on it and I have no intention of getting rid of it. That said it does have 151k miles and looking forward I’d like to have another fun car for daily duties and a several month road trip I’m planning in the next couple of years. I’ve always been a Miata fan, have owned 4 including a ‘04 Mazdaspeed that I sold for my 987. I watched the reveal of the 30th AE Miata, liked it, and am now one of the 500 in the US with a confirmed order. But now a CPO ‘15 981 GTS 6 speed in sapphire blue with 35k miles has popped up on the Porsche preowned website and I’m now torn. The 981 GTS has about the best sounding motor I’ve ever heard and great driving dynamics. On the other hand this Miata will be rather rare, the new for ‘19 181hp engine drives and sounds really nice, and the overall styling and unique touches on the car appear quite nice. Oh and cruising in a relaxed manner the Miata gets well over 30mpg. Pricing is about $10k in favor of the Miata, but not an issue in the big picture. So...give me a little help please. smileys with beer

Paralizer 06 Boxster S Atlas Grey/Black/Black
Paralizer
Okay need some input from the “wisdom” of the board. My trusty ‘06 987 has 151k mile on it and I have no intention of getting rid of it. That said it does have 151k miles and looking forward I’d like to have another fun car for daily duties and a several month road trip I’m planning in the next couple of years. I’ve always been a Miata fan, have owned 4 including a ‘04 Mazdaspeed that I sold for my 987. I watched the reveal of the 30th AE Miata, liked it, and am now one of the 500 in the US with a confirmed order. But now a CPO ‘15 981 GTS 6 speed in sapphire blue with 35k miles has popped up on the Porsche preowned website and I’m now torn. The 981 GTS has about the best sounding motor I’ve ever heard and great driving dynamics. On the other hand this Miata will be rather rare, the new for ‘19 181hp engine drives and sounds really nice, and the overall styling and unique touches on the car appear quite nice. Oh and cruising in a relaxed manner the Miata gets well over 30mpg. Pricing is about $10k in favor of the Miata, but not an issue in the big picture. So...give me a little help please. smileys with beer

..hmmmmm. It almost sounds as if you already know what the answer to your question is.

"Rare" - how important is that to your enjoyment of the car? Although, the 981 GTS will be relatively rare with its 6 speed transmission, something that you really can enjoy.
"Sounds really nice", "appears quite nice" or "Best sounding motor I've ever heard and great driving dynamics (and, I agree with you on both counts.)" Tough choice. winking smiley
Not nearly as important as the above, if it's about really enjoying what the car is design for. - If it factors into the equation, if I drive my 981S in a "relaxed manner" it will deliver 30+ mpg.

IMHO, there's really just one choice here.
My 2016 981 GTS 6 Speed Manual with sport suspension is a joy to own and drive. It does everything exceptionally well. Personally, I am hanging on to this car for a very very long time. Might the last of the flat 6’s in the Boxster/Cayman (except for the Spyder and GT4) become as desirable as the 993? Time will tell.

There is no substitute! cool smiley
Unless you are a collector of rare cars my advice is to buy a car because it is the car you want to drive not because it is rare.

The Miata while I'm sure is a nice car -- I watched an online review of the 2019 model and it has come up in the world: More power and less weight, folding hardtop; I can't see it delivering a ride anywhere near as exciting and as good as the 981 GTS.

Obviously you are considering two rather different cars. You need to decide which way you want to go.
Drive the GTS
Boxsterra - 5 years ago
and your debate will end
asking which car to buy on this board? TROLL!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out spinning smiley sticking its tongue out spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
My 16 Boxster S is sapphire blue also. Love the color and the car. Be prepared for a lot of looks with that color.
If you are taking a road trip for several months, no brainer, the Boxster. Two trunks > 1 small trunk. While the Miata has grown over the decades, it's still a small car.
Well just to make it interesting I received a PM from another member who is also eyeballing this GTS.

I'm sure (and I mean CERTAIN) that the other member eyeballing the GTS isn't interested in the particular GTS that you mentioned. smiling smiley Take your time and pick the car that you'll love.
Well after much MUCH internal debate I made a decision. I really like Miatas, and think the 30th AE Mazda is realeasing is very nice, but I’ve been lusting for a 981 GTS for several years. So I put a deposit down and will be the new owner of a 2105 GTS, 6 speed in sapphire blue. The only option it doesn’t have that I would have spec’d is PTV. It’ll probably be 3-4 weeks til I get it as it has to be shipped from the east coast. Side note a car like that needs to be in a climate where the top can be down so escaping frigid Buffalo seems appropriate. Anyhow the wait begins and now I have 2 examples of midengine perfection. And here’s a link to pics of the new ride.
[www.northtownauto.com]

I look forward to hearing more about it after a few miles.
Wow. Nice find. I think the only thing you uou won't like about that car is when you get to the end of a drive.

Looking forward to hearing how you feel about the GTS after you've had time to put a few miles on it.
Beautiful car! I trust that you will enjoy it for a very long time. I could not be happier with my 2016 GTS. It says it has sport suspension - have you verified that it has the X73 option? If so, you will be impressed. You have yourself an awesome drivers’ car!

Some suggestions once you get the car: Install Xpel film on rocker panels, around engine air intakes and lower rear bumpers. That area gets a lot of road spray. Though the amber side markers look OK on the blue car, I still think clears would look better.
Yeah I’m pretty happy. I definitely thought long and hard before pulling the trigger. The car does not have the X73, just PASM. And the original owner already put Xpel on the car. I’m already planning to replace the amber markers with clear and I’m having the dealer install a backup camera tied to the PCM. Don’t want any damage to that wonderful rear end. Heres the original build sheet. Other then PTV and backup sensors it’s how I’d have spec’d it.

Congratulations! There is no chance in hell that you won't be 100% sure you made the right decision the first time you fire it up and drive it.

Gary

2003 Boxster Base - Midnight Blue Metallic, Savanna Beige, Metropol Blue
WOW!!! Nice find and looks to be a great price. Enjoy!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login