Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I'm helping my local Porsche body shop on a 2002 996 Turbo. Front end fire in the driveway. Not running at the time. Fire didn't get as far as gas tank but lots of melted wires and plastic. Radiator fan is suspect.
Donor crashed Turbo has supplied wire harness and other parts. ABS unit replaced and recoded with my PST2.
Tried to reset and re calibrate gas gage per factory manual and get error message on PST2. Did pin out and wire trace to instrument panel on both units All OK. Tried another sending unit. No change. Gage checked OK with computer and sending unit(s) resistants is OK.
Same testing with top unit. All other systems work.

Suggestions?

Ed B confused smiley
Ed B
I'm helping my local Porsche body shop on a 2002 996 Turbo. Front end fire in the driveway. Not running at the time. Fire didn't get as far as gas tank but lots of melted wires and plastic. Radiator fan is suspect.
Donor crashed Turbo has supplied wire harness and other parts. ABS unit replaced and recoded with my PST2.
Tried to reset and re calibrate gas gage per factory manual and get error message on PST2. Did pin out and wire trace to instrument panel on both units All OK. Tried another sending unit. No change. Gage checked OK with computer and sending unit(s) resistants is OK.
Same testing with top unit. All other systems work.

Suggestions?

Ed B confused smiley

Re calibrate the gas gauge? Do you mean recalibrate the fuel level sensor/system? This should update the fuel gauge value stored in the instrument cluster.

The steps to calibrate the fuel level sensor are a bit involved.

Disconnect the battery.
Remove cap over the fuel level sensor system.
Remove fuel level sensor.
Remove all the fuel from the fuel tank and with the Turbo this includes the two recesses on the left and right hand side of the fuel tank are also emptied.
Reinstall the fuel level sensor and with the ignition off fill the tank with 28 liters of fuel.
Perform tank calibration with the PST2.
Select vehicle type (911 Carrera)
Select control modules
Select instrument cluster
Select menu item "Tank calibration"
Confirm calibration

The fuel level sensor system has now been calibrated.
Yes, fuel level sensor system. We have done all that and get an error message on the PST2 when try to confirm calibration.

Ed B
There can be...
MarcW - 5 years ago
There can be an error logged from the battery disconnect/loss of power.

From the diagnostics manual:

"In these circumstances, no fault is present in the system and the fault memory must be erased.

Fault memory Info key .

In order to be able to assess the fault exactly, the fault memory Info key must be pressed. This information should be saved using
the Save key and printed out. If a fault code is stored with "not present" status and no other problems are present, then the fault memory must be erased."
Re: There can be...
Ed B - 5 years ago
I think we have done that .Present plan is to finish other items, fill it with gas and drive it and see what shows up. Then repeat the calibration procedure. I'll post when we know something.

Ed B
Te message is in German. I don't have a current picture of it. I'll try to get one.

Ed B
Comments on the Rennlist discussion?

[www.renntech.org]

Ed B
Tried a different instrument cluster and everything works!

Ed B smileys with beer
Instrument cluster that worked had physical damage. Swapped mother boards between clusters and neither worked. Swapped boards back but still had an issue with the undamaged board. Foun a ribbon connector not complete seated. Now both clusters work!

Ed B the finger smiley
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login