Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I have a 2000 Base.

I put the top up to bring the car in for service (new battery, transmission fluid leak and god knows what else). I tried to place the top down today and there's no power (no light, no whirring motor, etc.).

I'll call the mechanic in the AM, but are there any simple fixes or is this going to be a big deal?

Andrew
There’s a micro switch in the handbrake that detects if it is pulled up, as the top will only move when the parking brake is pulled up at least a notch. If that microswitch goes bad, even when you pull up on the handbrake, it will think it is not pulled up and then the top will not operate. I would check that first to see if when you pull the brake up, if the handbrake light on the dash comes on. If not, you know what the problem is. If so, there’s videos and pages out there to help you replace it. I did mine on my Boxster years ago, and it was pretty easy, but you have to take the center console out or at least raise it up enough to get to the microswitch. The switch itself is a cheap part.

This link may help:
[freddysboxster.wordpress.com]
The one in my 2000 when bad once... now I have a spare, but have not needed it since.
there's also an easy hack to bypass that switch. i did it to my boxster as well as bypassing the need to be stopped. i wanted to be able to operate my top at 100 MPH.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
I assume you mean the "shark top" hack that I gave you?
the shark top device allowed for "one touch" operation but it didn't override the need to be stopped with the handbrake on as far as i can recall. those two hacks were done separately.
yes, i did include the shark top but the guy who bought the car from me took it out after a while as it started to misbehave and operate the top on its own free will.
this is all water under the bridge though as this year will mark the 10th anniversary of having sold "frogster." i can't believe it. a lot of good times driving that car through the alps, spain, france, italy, and of course germany.

edit to add: tony, you have a great memory. that must be at least 17 years ago that you sent me that shark top.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2019 08:23PM by frogster. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login