Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Up until this past weekend, the AC (the Automatic version) in my 2013 Boxster S seemed to be working ok during the few times it had to deal with some recent warm weather. Over the weekend, I noticed the windshield fogging a bit in very moist, rainy conditions. Further checks, including using the AC Max, and/or "LO" setting never produced cool air. All vent air flow seemed to be operating normally, whether on Auto or Manual.
I set up an appointment with my dealer, but in the meanwhile, I figured I could at least check the various fuses that relate in any way to the AC. All fuses appear to be ok, but there are anomalies as to fuse location, etc. For one thing, the Owner's Manual describes Row A (for both the driver and passenger side fuse panels) as Lower Left being Fuse 1, Upper Left being Fuse 2, Lower Right being Fuse 3, Upper Right being Fuse 4. Yet, the panel covers are marked as:

1 2
3 4

Now, according to the Owner's Manual, with my observations following:

Left Footwell
Row A Fuse 1 Lower Left: air conditioning fan, R/L 40A - - - This slot is EMPTY! And all 4 fuse designations in this row have functions in my car's configuration.
Row B Fuse 8 air conditioning control unit 7.5A - - - OK as is
Row D Fuse 4 gateway/diagnostic socket, air quality sensor 5A - - - OK as is

Right Footwell*
Row A Fuse 3 fresh air blower motor, blower regulator 40A - - - OK as is
Row B Fuse 2 air conditioner control unit 25A - - - OK as is
Row D Fuse 4 EC mirror, refrigerant pressure sensor 7.5A - - - This slot is EMPTY
(By the way, D-5 is described as "not used" but has a 5A fuse inserted)

* The fuses, as inserted, match the Owner's Manual.

All this said, I suppose/hope the anomalies are due to running changes in vehicle assembly and there's simply a need for a recharge (with no significant leaks!) but it has me wondering. I'm wary of inserting any provided extra fuses into what I think are the proper slots.
Any takers on this one?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2019 06:44PM by Laz. (view changes)
The manual for my 981 has the same info / fuse location as yours. I'll have to check the fuse box tomorrow. Really strange about the two EMPTY slots. If those should in fact be present, it would explain why the AC isn't working. But, how did they disappear.

A few thoughts.

Have you checked to see if the radiator fans come on when you turn the AC on?

From the time that AC went from working to not working, did you have any faster drives (Interstate speeds) where you might have had a stone strike a condenser?

Hope it's an inexpensive fix.
Laz
Up until this past weekend, the AC (the Automatic version) in my 2013 Boxster S seemed to be working ok during the few times it had to deal with some recent warm weather. Over the weekend, I noticed the windshield fogging a bit in very moist, rainy conditions. Further checks, including using the AC Max, and/or "LO" setting never produced cool air. All vent air flow seemed to be operating normally, whether on Auto or Manual.
I set up an appointment with my dealer, but in the meanwhile, I figured I could at least check the various fuses that relate in any way to the AC. All fuses appear to be ok, but there are anomalies as to fuse location, etc. For one thing, the Owner's Manual describes Row A (for both the driver and passenger side fuse panels) as Lower Left being Fuse 1, Upper Left being Fuse 2, Lower Right being Fuse 3, Upper Right being Fuse 4. Yet, the panel covers are marked as:

1 2
3 4

Now, according to the Owner's Manual, with my observations following:

Left Footwell
Row A Fuse 1 Lower Left: air conditioning fan, R/L 40A - - - This slot is EMPTY! And all 4 fuse designations in this row have functions in my car's configuration.
Row B Fuse 8 air conditioning control unit 7.5A - - - OK as is
Row D Fuse 4 gateway/diagnostic socket, air quality sensor 5A - - - OK as is

Right Footwell*
Row A Fuse 3 fresh air blower motor, blower regulator 40A - - - OK as is
Row B Fuse 2 air conditioner control unit 25A - - - OK as is
Row D Fuse 4 EC mirror, refrigerant pressure sensor 7.5A - - - This slot is EMPTY
(By the way, D-5 is described as "not used" but has a 5A fuse inserted)

* The fuses, as inserted, match the Owner's Manual.

All this said, I suppose/hope the anomalies are due to running changes in vehicle assembly and there's simply a need for a recharge (with no significant leaks!) but it has me wondering. I'm wary of inserting any provided extra fuses into what I think are the proper slots.
Any takers on this one?

I pulled the covers off my fuse boxes. Mine is a June 2013 build (first week of MY 2014 production.)
I have 2 manuals. Paper copy produced March 2013. PDF copy produced March 2014

Like yours,
Left Footwell,
Row A fuse 1, lower left air conditioning fan, R/L 40A is Empty (I noticed in paper & PDF manual diagram, it also looks empty) ..hmm go figure

Right Footwell:
Row D Fuse 4 says ACC control (paper & PDF manual) unit and has a 5 A fuse (ACC = Active Cruise Control? - which I don't have
Row D Fuse 5 paper manual says Not Used. PDF manual says "Occupant sensing for passenger's seat") has a 5 A fuse inserted

It will be interesting to see what the dealer finds.
I took a closer look at the panels, and the left footwell Row A Fuse 1 (per the Owner's Manual, not the panel cover) not only doesn't have a fuse, but it has no electrical connector. Separately, I inserted the provided spare 5A fuse in the right side panel Row D Fuse 4, leaving the "not used" Fuse 5 in place, but this didn't give me AC either. This pretty much tells me the anomalies are due to running changes in manufacture, and the car simply has insufficient/no refrigerant. I can't recall taking a noticeable stone hit lately that could've punctured something up front, but I have to take a closer look. If I don't post further about a puncture, readers can assume I found nothing.
Addendum:
There're no idle, nor fan speed changes detected with AC on, even at Max.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2019 12:58PM by Laz. (view changes)
... test the low pressure for the refrigerant.
If it's lost refrigerant, the pressure sensor goes into limp mode to protect the compressor.
All it may need is a bit off a charge.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I looked for specs online, but found nothing past the 987. Refrigerant and oil amount, psi (?) etc. I could then have my trusted local guy, who's excellent, but not very familiar with the car, do the service. I imagine the low pressure port is on the passenger side, under the battery cover panel.
It'd be great if it's not a catastrophic leak/condenser damage, and merely that the functional threshold was passed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2019 05:13PM by Laz. (view changes)
That's where it is. It has the black cap.
Your tech will have a pressure gauge to measure or you can purchase one at almost any auto parts.
It has colored zones: Red, Yellow, Gree, Blue.
You want to see it in the green If it's low you can add a bit of 134A refrigerant until it gets to the green (filled) zone.
BTW, that's with the car running and the A/C on.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login