Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
This month: [www.msn.com]

Last Month: [www.slashgear.com]

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
I was with a group of Boxster owner friends. We were standing beside a parked Tesla Roadster. We talked a bit, hoping the owner would return so we could talk to him / her about it. Suddenly, one of us looked up and the Tesla was gone.

It w-a-s s-o-o-o-o e-x-c-I-t-I-n-g. sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2019 08:18AM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
3 second 0 to 60 is addicting.
I know that in North America, many people are fixated on the 0 - 60 time. 3 seconds is great. But then what? There's just so much more to the driving experience. Besides, how often do you really make that 0 - 60 dash. Do it here in Canada at the stoplight grand prix and it's called racing or stunt driving. Do it in sight of the nice uniformed officer, and you get to find your own way home while your car gets towed to the police impound and your drivers licence goes with the officer. And, that's just for starters.

That 0 - 60 time for a driver, would provide the same thrill as a lazer guided golf ball cannon mounted on a golf cart would for a golfer. Imagine, you could "play" a round of golf in 20 - 30 minutes and shoot a consistent 18 each round. I guess it all depends on what you want to get out of the experience.

Besides, that roughly 2 seconds extra it takes me to get to 60 in my Boxster, I'll easily make up at the next fuel stop. I've never timed a tank fill, but I imagine about 2 - 3 minutes tops. The EV will take roughly 20 - 30 minutes, or more for a full charge.

I think EV's are great for commuter cars, but not for cars you sometimes take on trips that require several fuel stops during a day.
Re: Drive one
frogster - 4 years ago
i agree with guenter 100%. there is so much more to driving than drag racing. i can't stand when i see articles or videos showing supercars drag racing. all that engineering just to go in a straight line for a few hundred feet? that is just dumb.
and as far as 0 to 60 times being addicting, the problem with any addiction is that you need to keep feeding it with more. so where are we going next, two-second times? then what?
that's why in my book the nurburgring times are the most important indication of a car's ability since it includes braking and handling as well as power.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Then why do I hear handling praised on several pure EVs by road testers?

I agree 0-60 isn't the most important thing but when you are merging it is nice to have. Or just passing a semi or two at 70 (112).

And just you wait, the Boxster hybrid and perhaps EV are just around the corner. 2022 models. And you think the furor over a 4-cyl Turbo was loud.

So dismiss as you will, but an up close and personal experience might change your mind.
Gary in SoFL - 4 years ago
Exactly....reasonable and practical, even for those who derive their Boxster enjoyment on fuel wasting cruise to nowhere. winking smiley

More insight from the author: [www.roadandtrack.com]

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Everything from a Volvo PV544 and '65 Ford Falcon to 5 roadsters including 3 Porsches. Probably 40 cars over 60 years of driving. Mostly stick but towards the end of my business career I realized I was better rested by an slushomatic as my commute had degenerated from 7 minutes to 50 over the same route with no real options for another. And now I drive a cvt. Why would I do that? Well 3 cvts in the family now and one over 200k and that one still making an 80 mile round trip to work and 250 to vacation with precious cargo. So reliability. Close dealer. I could walk home but the service gives me a ride to within half a mile and I hop the fence and walk from there. Utility. Bags of brush and clippings to the landfill today. Tomorrow 5 of us home to make jelly and go to an A baseball game in a week old stadium with my 7 year old grandson. Weird instruments in the center of the dash. Bought because it was different. And gas was $4/gal or more at the time. A Prius wagon. Weeks between fuel stops. Regular. 41.6 MPG just driving it, no high mileage tricks. Even has the similar AOS/EGR problems as our Boxsters but at twice the miles. Not even available now, the Rav4h has effectively replaced it.

Having driven a Model 3, I decided I really want the not yet available Model-Y. Bigger (kids are 6'5" and 6'6") and utility. Lots to fiddle with, choices to make about what nannies to use, which display to have, it drives or do I. Will Tesla be around then? Where will I be? What shape will I be in? All imponderables.

Notice I didn't say need, didn't pose an economic argument. Didn't say you should get one. I just suggested you try one. They are unique.
but it won't be very interesting since there are only two gears tongue sticking out smiley
Reverse and Forward? grinning smiley
Boxsterra
but it won't be very interesting since there are only two gears tongue sticking out smiley

Current: 07 Carrera S Cab - Midnight Blue/Sand Beige
Previous: 01 Boxster - (formerly boxtaboy), 86 944, Instagram: @Carreralicious
You just reverse the direction of the current in the motor.

Here's an interesting article on the benefit of having more than one gear in an electric motor:

[insideevs.com]
TheFarmer - 4 years ago
Having leased a Chevy Volt, I can say that, other than noise in your ears (yes, I know, there have been many, many posts about exhaust note...) electric drive can put your back into the seat just like a carbon-spewing inefficient 4, 6 or 8 cylinder gas engine. But now that the exhaust note is actually computer generated, with speakers in the cabin, just what is the point? I would much rather feel the power at my back than in my ears. I am too old to cling on to the "good old days" when I drove a 1963 Falcon Sprint ragtop - although I miss that car more than I can say.

I think that the Boxster is a great platform for EV evolution.
From the article:
"Porsche is now pursuing a plan that could see pure-electric Boxster and Cayman variants using the company’s new PPE architecture offered alongside updated versions of today’s models featuring hybrid and plug-in hybrid drivetrains. "

So, the Boxster/Cayman hybrids are viewed as the transition vehicle between the ICE platform and the EV--and it doesn't sound like they'll be in production all that long-- maybe 5 years?

I'm trying to think of a compelling reason why people might buy one but I really can't see it.
Mileage, performance and lower emissions should all improve, but at increased cost and a more complicated mix of technology.
Add to that a shorter production run--if expected battery development stays on track--which might make long term ownership problematic from a product support standpoint
If I had that choice to make, I think I'd hang out until the EV arrived.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2019 08:30AM by MikenOH. (view changes)
You said it
Boxsterra - 4 years ago
"Mileage, performance and lower emissions"

It's true that a car with an internal combustion engine (and hence a hybrid) is about 1000x more complicated as a pure EV but if you buy one now, it will just be coming off warranty when the full EVs arrive.
Hang on to your ICE until the debugged EV’s are here.

... trade in my Mechanical Engineering degree for an Electrical Engineering Degree if I want to keep working on these cars.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2019 03:11PM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login