Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
After a tank of gas, after a winter hibernation my Check engine light came on with the subject codes.

My Indy cleared the code and told me it was system too lean and keep an eye on it. Well the next day my eye saw the CEL. I will assume the codes will be the same.

After checking the internet it looks like the AOS. No White or Blue smoke is noticeable.

Is it safe to continue to drive the P car?

Should I take it to the Dealership or my Indy??

Comments please.

MIKELLIG
Re: Year, model?
BLKBOXS - 4 years ago
Thanks...2006 Boxster S 3.2LTR

MIKELLIG
Re: Year, model?
BLKBOXS - 4 years ago
and 60K miles cool smiley

MIKELLIG
Recent service?
Boxsterra - 4 years ago
Could be an intake leak or even just the oil filler cap not on properly.
I had an oil change before hibernation back in November. I will check my oil cap.

Thank you for the response!!

MIKELLIG
I just had to look to see what was going on this afternoon.. Based on the pics it looks like i need a new OAS.

What do you think...is this a no brainer? and should i get the whole intake cleaned while they are at it?? Thanks, I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Oily intake from the top of the AOS.

Pretty oily dust build up.

Overall condition.

MIKELLIG
BLKBOXS
After a tank of gas, after a winter hibernation my Check engine light came on with the subject codes.

My Indy cleared the code and told me it was system too lean and keep an eye on it. Well the next day my eye saw the CEL. I will assume the codes will be the same.

After checking the internet it looks like the AOS. No White or Blue smoke is noticeable.

Is it safe to continue to drive the P car?

Should I take it to the Dealership or my Indy??

Comments please.

If AOS is diagnosed best to not drive the car. While all that is going on now is just the CEL the AOS can go from bad to worse very quickly. The 1st and 3rd AOS failures were like this. The 2nd tripped the CEL once in a while on a 2K mile drive. Because the 1st AOS never tripped the CEL I thought the problem was perhaps MAF related. Drove on. After reaching my destination the next AM started the engine and smoke just billowed. AOS. Had I recognized AOS I would have arranged to call a Porsche dealer on my way east and get the car in and get this addressed at my convenience rather than having to arrange a very expensive 90 mile tow to the nearest dealer from the hotel parking lot.

Take the car to wherever you think you'll get the job done right. I never had an indy shop I really trusted after the one I had used told me it insisted on filling the engine with 15w-50 oil. Mainly it worked on air-cooled models and got this oil at a big discount while the 0w-40 oil not so much.

All 3 were done at a Porsche dealer. The Merriam KS dealer did AOSs 1 and 2. The Livermore dealer did AOS 3.

The tech will clean or not clean whatever he deems necessary to clean or to leave alone. For every AOS I left it up to the discretion of the tech what cleaning he did. I never bothered to look at the engine afterwards. The engine ran fine and the AOS proved good to go for another roughly 80K to 100K miles.
I am being told that it is indeed the OAS unit that needs replacing.

Strong Vacuum leak - OIL Cap could not be removed.

I will send an update once I get the P Car back.

MIKELLIG
BLKBOXS
I am being told that it is indeed the OAS unit that needs replacing.

Strong Vacuum leak - OIL Cap could not be removed.

I will send an update once I get the P Car back.

Looks like the AOS was the culprit. 440 CND $ or 50 USD$grinning smiley

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

MIKELLIG
Hi Mike,

Sorry you had this problem. What shop do you use? I live in KW also.

13 Boxster, Racing Yellow, PDK, SC in yellow, 20" Carrera platinum wheels, sport steering wheel, yellow seat belts, yellow roll bars, 14 way power seats, PDL, sports tailpipe
Tweety
Hi Mike,

Sorry you had this problem. What shop do you use? I live in KW also.

Thanks Tweety!

I use German Autotech on Colby Dr. in Waterloo.

Mike's Team is very competent and reasonable$ ...IMHOsmiling smiley

MIKELLIG
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login