Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
This is at least the second time I have replaced the switch.
I was getting the delayed shutoff after the key was removed. Yes, I overpaid for the part. Purchased at the dealer in the (likely vain) hope that they have a more robust source.

On the band news front, the job is STILL a complete PITA. But having done it before, I seem to be getting better at it. This time only took maybe a half hour.

On the good news front, hanging upside down under the dashboard seems to have significantly helped my back problem. Go figure.
Do you have many keys on your ring?
A very heavy key ring can cause the switch to fail prematurely.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Had the ignition switch replaced in my 2002 Boxster. It was not clear it was the problem but I hate a car that is unreliable and not starting at random times is my definition of not reliable. So I was willing to throw a new switch at the behavior.

After having suffered from trying to fit myself under the dash to replace several of the various switches related to the clutch interlock, cruise control and brake lights, I opted to let a Porsche tech do this ignition switch job and of course the entire switch assembly -- the electric blob on the end along with aluminum assembly was replaced. I can't recall the mileage now but it was sometime in mid 2009 or at 7 years of age so I estimate at around 150K miles. At 15 years old and with 317K miles on the odo the replacement switch was just fine.

The techs told me that just replacing the electrical portion resulted in too many bring backs so Porsche no longer offered the electric portion separately. I did buy one from the next door Audi dealer but never installed it. I gave it away after I got rid of my Boxster.

I mention the above in case you just replaced the electrical portion before. The delayed shut off reads more like a mechanical problem than an electrical problem.

Pedro brings up a good point about a heavy key chain. I never used a key chain I always had my Boxster (and Turbo) keys separate to avoid putting any undo strain/wear/tear on the ignition switch. A habit I developed when I rode motorcycles and didn't want a heavy key chain flopping about.
They buy their switches from Audi too.

I always felt like it was more likely the aluminium part, but multiple folks have asserted it to be the plastic electric part - including the dealer. He could have sold me the whole thing, because I was leaning that way before I walked in the door.
I have a spare cause people always said these fail. Never had a problem with my original switch that was still fine after 18 yrs. Go figure.

Current: 07 Carrera S Cab - Midnight Blue/Sand Beige
Previous: 01 Boxster - (formerly boxtaboy), 86 944, Instagram: @Carreralicious
I am still experiencing the delayed "power off" and the delayed audible clunk after removing the key.

I suspect this means the metallic pistol looking part of the ignition needs to be replaced.???

Great. Just great.
Current: 07 Carrera S Cab - Midnight Blue/Sand Beige
Previous: 01 Boxster - (formerly boxtaboy), 86 944, Instagram: @Carreralicious
Yup, probably
Boxsterra - 4 years ago
It's also possible that the electrical portion wasn't properly installed but the original pistol part has been superseded several times because the original sux.
The symptoms are exactly the same. On cooler days, the thunk and electrical disconnection take some seconds (or several in winter).

I am not sure if it is worth the nuisance to swap the metallic part at the moment. i have other deferred maintenance and upgrades to do.

If it is not the electrical part, I am not going to be stranded - so, do I leave it for now?
so why not do it now? It's a nuisance and will get worse over time.

You can try lubing it but in my experience it doesn't make any difference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2019 09:10AM by Boxsterra. (view changes)
True.

It will get done when it becomes a true nuisance.

In the meantime, I am on to other projects like replacing my roof.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login