Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
how does one use UV dye?

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
I got it from Amazon, They make dyes for either oil based fluids, or water based fluids.

I had the oil based because I was originally going to use it to detect a oil leak on my old daily driver Jetta diesel.

Instructions say 1/2oz treats 4-6 qts of oil. I put most of 1 oz bottle in. My kit came with 6 x 1oz bottles. I drove the car for about 15 minutes to warm it up and circulate the dye around. Then I shone the flashlight around looking for signs of the dye around my dirty engine.

UV flashlight came from amazon as well. They also sell yellow tinted glasses (which I didn't buy) that are supposed to help the uv dye stand out more. I could see it fine without them. There are youtube videos on using uv dyes to detect leaks for more info....

I found it pretty handy, although with my level of leakage, I should have been able to see it without the dye, but it was a fun experiment. My engine was covered in dirt and oil, as I had also had an air oil separator failure a while back, and never cleaned the engine after replacing that I wasn't sure if I had more than one leak before using the dye.

. I will flush out the uv dye oil this week when I do my yearly oil change.
thanks for the explanation. i was wondering if you put the dye in the oil. sounds interesting.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login