Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I currently have 18" Bridgestone SO4S , which I like. But, they wear out so fast (10k to 12k average on the rears ) I am considering Kumho Ecsta PS 91, which have similar wear, temperature and traction ratings. I have Kumhos on my other car and I like their performance (different size).

Does anyone have these Kumhos on their Boxster? Comments welcome.
I used to love the Kumbo Ecsta Supra 712 but they discontinued them some years ago.
Since then I’ve been using the Hankook Ventus V12 EVO. I’ve been very happy with those as well.
Whichever ones you decide, please click on the TireRack banner above. Using that link when purchasing their products will get PB a donation which will not affect your price or discounts.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
My 2012 Boxster came with Goodyear F1 17” all-season tires and they worked well in Ohio winters and they had long tread life. I checked on Tire Rack and with my dealer and learned that Goodyear no longer makes that tire and there aren’t any 17” all-season tires made for my Boxster. I drive so few miles in winter that I don’t want to have to buy two sets of tires, one set for summer and another set for winter. Anyone else have this problem and what solution have you found? Thanks for your thoughts.
For many years I used Michelin Pilot - I enjoyed them 4 seasons albeit with almost no snow. They were good, but very expensive. The tread wear was as I expected. I used them on my Saab's too with similar results.

Last year I went for Continental DWS. if anything, i like those better all around. Obviously, i cannot speak to treadwear yet, but the performance is really good so far. I know that another board member TC also has that brand and when we last spoke on the issue a month or so ago, really enjoyed them as well.

At a minimum, the Contis are worth a look see.
Re: All Seasons
Sayle - 4 years ago
Thanks for your suggestion of the Continental DWS tires. Continental’s website says they don’t make them for my Boxster. I don’t know if it’s because of the 17” wheel size or not. You mentioned Michelin Pilots. Do they work in cold weather? Thanks again.
Michelins
JM-Stamford,CT - 4 years ago
I enjoyed them pretty uniformly - they were decent in light snow with my Saab's. But that could have been the Saab not the tire.

They wore OK. They were expensive though. Last time, I got them through Costco of all places.

The Contis I got at Town Fair, a regional tire place.
Tire Rack seems to stock 17" size

[www.tirerack.com]
Michelins
JM-Stamford,CT - 4 years ago
I enjoyed them pretty uniformly - they were decent in light snow with my Saab's. But that could have been the Saab not the tire.

They wore OK. They were expensive though. Last time, I got them through Costco of all places.

The Contis I got at Town Fair, a regional tire place.

Tire Rack seems to offer them in 17"

[www.tirerack.com]
i use Kumho PS31's on the street and happy with them......

black,
fairly quiet
round,
comfortable..... for an 18" tire on a 986s...
...they howl like mad on the track...

I then bought a set of used track tires/rims - running toyo r1r's on those for the track.....
- sticky, and track howl gone...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login