Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
As noted in another thread, I installed a pre-owned OEM top into my car.

The headliner is in good shape, but it has a tendency to detach from the leading edge. It begins in the middle, and detaches laterally. I can pressure fit it back in place readily enough, but that only lasts until the nest roof engagement.

It appears the headliner is held in place by a friction fit between the top itself and a plastic rib on the leading edge of the headliner.

is there a tried and true method to cure this modest, but annoying, fault?
and potentially very messy.

Have you done it successfully? Assuming the answer is yes, what glue did you use? Basic Gorilla Glue wont cut it.

I think I have some yellow epoxy designed for trim pieces. But I would think that would be more for the top proper not the headlining.

Maurice suggested velcro tape. I have not had a chance to pull it apart to see the top edge, but I suspect if the headliner was removed, that edge of the top would be highly visible.

I am almost more inclined to remove the liner than to try and glue it.
is not to hold it in place per se. The trim hooks in but as you said it tends to fall out. The purpose of the glue is simply to convince the trim not to pop out. It doesn't have to be very strong. You can probably even use trim adhesive, which isn't particularly strong (and is definitely reversible).
"Hawks feet have a ratchet-like mechanism to aid capturing & keeping their prey without too much exertion, allowing them to concentrate on any other possible predators. The hawk clenches her muscles, tightening the toes around the prey (gripping it with the talons), when the muscles are released, the toes & talons remain locked in place."

To give proper credit, I copied this excerpt from:
[www.pauldfrost.co.uk]
and was aware of the mechanism from some tv nature show on raptors.

The narrator mentioned that there are band-like muscles around the direct, talon-actuating muscles that require much less effort to keep under tension.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2019 08:39PM by Laz. (view changes)
Probably should read, "... talon-actuating tendons... "
I have to say, I do not get the talon analogy.

In my case the issue resolved for the moment.
I had an assistant. Together we pushed the headliner font edge all the way - we pretty well jammed it home - in a consistent manner on the hottest day you can imagine in CT. Probably 105 deg F. (probably like a Tues in January in Arizona).

Since then the headliner has been fine. I am not expecting a cure, but I am betting that the very hot roof made the plastic trim more flexible or otherwise made the fit better after cooling. YMMV.
Re: I am confused.....
Laz - 4 years ago
Trim hooks + glue ≈ talons + banded muscles
(High effort + low effort applied in each case)

As I said, "very vague." winking smiley
... headliners ...
... or cupholders ...
... or enough HP.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
[bringatrailer.com]

Granted it is a Cayman, but should be possible on a Boxster.
"The seller states the LS3 ECU triggers a “higher than expected idle” code on occasion, and the Porsche ECU shows multiple faults as a result of the swap."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login