Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
6.2L 495 HP
0-60 in 3 seconds
8-speed dual clutch initially

and this is only the first version
I know few people who cross shop the two cars.

If you want a Vette, it is like a battle axe. A Boxster is more like a cavalry saber.

I doubt that will change.
JMstamford,ct
I know few people who cross shop the two cars.

If you want a Vette, it is like a battle axe. A Boxster is more like a cavalry saber.

I doubt that will change.
With prior generations of Corvette’s I would agree. But, and with GM’a history it’s definitely a big but, this new midengine Vette could have an impact. It has a whole new suspension configuration and significant upgrades to interior fit, finish, and function. It will be interesting to see initial reviews but I think it absolutely has the potential to impact Boxster/Cayman sales, especially if they keep pricing in typical Vette territory. The one advantage the Boxster/Cayman maintains is an option for a manual transmission. There are still a few of us who will only buy a car with 3 pedals.

Paralizer 06 Boxster S Atlas Grey/Black/Black
Hmmm....
JM-Stamford,CT - 4 years ago
Paralizer

With prior generations of Corvette’s I would agree. But, and with GM’a history it’s definitely a big but, this new midengine Vette could have an impact. It has a whole new suspension configuration and significant upgrades to interior fit, finish, and function. It will be interesting to see initial reviews but I think it absolutely has the potential to impact Boxster/Cayman sales, especially if they keep pricing in typical Vette territory. The one advantage the Boxster/Cayman maintains is an option for a manual transmission. There are still a few of us who will only buy a car with 3 pedals.

Perhaps. but in order to keep that price point compromises must have been made. It remains to be seen what those were. I concur that the lack of a manual transmission is somewhat of a surprise. I have my automatic for city driving, but if I want to be sporty, I want a clutch.

In any event, we will see. I still think the social norms/mores around the two cars are different. I submit the owners have different views of themselves. There is, and has always been, crossover, but the main groups of owners are different.

Maybe there will be a different attenuated military simile attached to the new Vette after it is driven.
Those were terms used in a 1970s comparison of the 911 and Corvette in either Car and Driver or Road & Track.
Quite a memory-jogger!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2019 07:54AM by Laz. (view changes)
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
A number of people on the Corvette forum think that the C8 will steal sales from the 718 platform because the prices are similar.

Very different cars for sure--the new Vette is roughly 184" long--just a bit shorter than a 2019 Mustang--which is a big car-- and will weight in around 3400lbs.

According to the specs, they've made major changes in the suspension--coil over rather than traverse leaf springs.Likewise, they've incorporated a technique used in Porsches for quite a while-- heat exchangers to cool the engine oil and transaxle fluid.

One thing that did surprise me is the size of the standard brake rotors--320mmF, 333mm" R; IIRC, the 718 is roughly 330mm F, 300mmR.
Just a tad bigger than the base 718 setup on a heavier and much more powerful car. Doesn't sound like a track car setup even though it will probably hit 60mph in the low 3 second range.

Chevy seems to have placed a big bet on the ME layout and the edgy styling will win over new customers as well keeping the interest of current owners. We'll see--if the forums are any indication of how things may go with sales, I don't think I'd pop the champagne corks just yet.
the number was well above $90k MSRP. At anywhere near that price, I wonder what second year options Chevy will throw at the 'vette?

I'm investing as if there will be a slowdown in the economy maybe not tomorrow but some day. Booms only run so long. You can only borrow so much to fuel them.

Add in places that aren't allowing ICE cars (and those are big city prosperous areas). Global pressure on oil prices from the middle east and Venezuela and Mexico. 20 year olds not buying as many cars still paying off student loans. ICE powered cars maybe not being as fashionable. And sales/price pressure from Miata/Supra/'vette.

If any few of those happen simultaneously, what happens to Porsche margins?
To be fair
Boxsterra - 4 years ago
0-60 in 3 seconds is only for cars with the Z51 performance package, which you won't be able to get for under $60k.
C8 Boo-boo grinning smiley
Gary in SoFL - 4 years ago
[www.motor1.com]

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Black might make it look less like "folded 80's paper".
I'm not concerned about the impact to sales... but I'd be interested in driving a mid engine Vette. I am leery of the sharp lines of the Vette's body styling based on the photos and the current size; however, hp speaks to a internal lust. I own a 2000, 2.7... have enjoyed every day I have driven it and would love to have 350 hp at my access. Would I give it up for a car that handles the same with American muscle... made by Chevy, for 60k? I don't see Chevy being able to build a car with the same handling excitement... but I'd be willing to be surprised and experience the thrust of more hp.
I personally hope it will be a wake-up call to Porsche, across the 911, Boxster and Cayman platforms... IMO the Boxster and Cayman should have had a 911 engine in it long ago. And, with Chevy all in on mid-engine... IMO, that is a huge acknowledgement of what Porsche has failed to fully deliver on.
In addition to owning a 2010 Boxster, I own a 2008 Corvette which I have put up for sale. Porsche dealers offer expensive service, but very competent service. Not so much in the case of the Corvette. Only a few Chevrolet dealers are competent to service the Corvette. If you decide to go with a Corvette, you need to find a dealer qualified to work on the car. A local Corvette club would be where to find advice. One advantage of owning the Corvette is that the GMPP extended warranty is available, and the warranty lets you specify the time and miles covered and it is possible to trade off miles for time. If the car is rarely driven, time coverage can be a very good deal. I would not consider owning a Corvette without the extended warranty.

I had the fun of driving the Vette on a perfect day on the track. I decided early on that the car could only be driven properly on the track with racing seats and harness. That is an expensive proposition. Pulling 0.95 g in a high speed right turn bracing myself with my left leg against the door was not the best idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2019 12:26PM by SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans). (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login