Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
chris harris drives what is being called the very first porsche ever made. yes, before the gmund 356.

Chris Harris drives the 1st Porsche

it's going to be auctioned by sotheby's next saturday, aug 17, in monterrey, and is expected to fetch more than $20M.

Sotheby's 1939 Porsche Type 64

this thing is just oozing history.it is over 80 years old and in very original condition.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
It is stunning that it drives at all - even more stunning they let an auto journalist drive it.

But as "patient zero" it has a huge lace in history. I cannot believe it survived. Truly remarkable.
Chris Harris seems like a good person to generate hype.

He also wasn't the only one who drove it..

[www.wsj.com]
It is amazing that they drive these "museum" pieces that are worth millions. Jerry Seinfeld in two episodes of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee has driven the last 356 ever to be produced. This is out in the "wild" of urban traffic out in the LA area. It was a Swedish or Norwegian police car.
If you do not drive them - they are no longer cars.

I think Seinfeld owned that car. The difference here is they are letting an auto-journalist drive it. Those guys are notorious for breaking, crashing, and messing stuff up. And it appears they let more than one guy drive it. That is remarkable.

A hundred years ago, when I bought my Boxster, i made a point to park at the end of the lot. I would not drive in certain places etc. After a couple weeks, I realized this is your car. You can afford it. It is insured. So just drive. And since then, I just drove the car. Now, I was not stupid about it. I would not park it on the street overnight in the South Bronx or something. I also choose not to drive it in snow because I have a Subaru for that. Other than that - I just drive.

I suspect if I had the money and insurance for one of these truly classic cars, I would want to drive it. I might not take it to the supermarket, but I would drive it. No auto-journalist would though. And unlike the Boxster, I would not let my 16 year old drive it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2019 10:52AM by JMstamford,ct. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login