Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hey folks
My 2000 Boxster w/ 80k miles I've had for a long time and as I rarely drive it, have put off getting new shocks/struts (not sure what proper name is so just list both words). The back ones are particularly bad as far as making noise (for several years), but the front ones I know have worn thru the bumper stops long ago. These are all the original ones on it now.

I want to get them all replaced and don't want anything but a similar OEM type shock (no "upgrade" or firmer suspension is desired at all).

I had one estimate at a local "indie" shop (specializing in foreign cars like BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc) that was about $2k for doing just the rears (and that was to replace all the parts involved in the assembly - not just the core strut itself but all the little pieces that tack onto it that you can find in the assembly drawing of the car/etc).

I know everything's expensive for this car, but that seemed high. Can some of you who have gone through this please share roughly what it should cost?

I'm also considering taking it to more of a "general" auto repair shop - that works on more ordinary cars, in an effort to get a lower price. Thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance to all
Just so you know
Boxsterra - 4 years ago
noise from the rear suspension is usually not caused by worn struts. (They are struts and not shocks because the former constitutes a structural part of the suspension)

Have you ever replaced the sway bar drop links? Those are usually the first to make noise (clunking), followed by the lower control arms (creaking).

To test the struts, push down hard and suddenly on one corner of the car. If the suspension bounces up and down multiple times, the strut needs to be replaced.
Re: Just so you know
bb1 - 4 years ago
Hey Boxsterra - you have answered numerous of my posts over the years, so thanks

I tried that test you suggested (on both front/back). It basically makes a bunch of whirring/creaking noises (on the way down and up both) but more or less is NOT bouncing up/down multiple times. Those noises, however, are not the complete picture I get when driving the car - i.e. when driving the car at low speeds over small grooves (w/ car coasting) I hear LOTS of clunking from the rear, in addition to these same creaks/groans. They sound closer to being at my ear level than lower on the car.

None of the items you mentioned have been replaced. The only suspension components ever replaced were the front inner tie rods about 6 yrs back.

The "indie" shop that looked at it recently, drove it and put it up on a lift to inspect underneath - banging around and trying to see if anything was loose -- they couldn't see anything obviously loose/worn. I've also jacked one of the rear corners up and pulled/tugged on the wheel in different directions to see if I could duplicate the noises I hear, but was not able to reproduce those noises.

I've thought about it a lot and the clunk I hear from the rear sounds a lot like some noise that would be made if the rubber stop on the top of the shock/strut "assembly" were worn out (which I suspect after 19yrs it is) and it was just hitting metal near the top of the rear sheetmetal. Or if the strut braces/etc were loose from wear at the top. That's all just speculation on my part and worth nothing much.
Even badly worn trailing arms will not rattle no matter how hard you pull, push and bang on the wheels. But when you get on the road they will rattle like crazy on every bump. They won't creak when bouncing the car up and down, but a worn lower control arm bushing will. Sounds like you should either press new bushings into the lower control arm and/or replace the trailing arms.
Thanks Anker
Hearing 3 different suggested parts here
1. sway bar drop links <- 996-343-0<69|70>-04 (these are front/back both)
2. trailing arms
3. lower control arm

I dug and found some part#'s I think that match the sway bar drop links. Can yall help pleaes w/ these other 2 suggested parts?
Thanks
bb1
Thanks Anker
Hearing 3 different suggested parts here
1. sway bar drop links <- 996-343-0<69|70>-04 (these are front/back both)
2. trailing arms
3. lower control arm

I dug and found some part#'s I think that match the sway bar drop links. Can yall help pleaes w/ these other 2 suggested parts?
Thanks

I suggest you go to Pelican Parts to get the correct part numbers for your car. Alternatively you can download 986_USA_KATALOG.pdf from Porsche and find the part numbers that correspond to your vintage and model.

Anker
Hey Boxsterra - I'm looking at the diagram you posted - is part#17 or #9 what you are referring to as the "lower control arm"?
At 42k miles on a 987 base:

I noticed no noise or problems of any kind but, my mechanic said all 4
shocks needed replacement.

My mechanic is well known and respected so I said okay.
I also said ouch when he told me how much.

Shocks, shock mounts, and bump stops cost $1,348.36.
Labor including a 4-wheel alignment was 1,885.00.

Now the car is very stiff riding, which I did not expect and was going to be a
question for the forum.

An aside: recently returned from a 850 mi. Car Week/Werks Reunion trip to Monterey CA
yep, every minute, every mile....nothing but smiles. What a car!
Do you commute to work on a cobblestone highway?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login