Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Had the car out the other evening and out of nowhere a loud squeak -- sounding like it was coming out of the dash--started.
I thought it might be the visors or seats rubbing on something but that was not the case.
The next day I looked in the front boot and everything seemed tight.
There were times when it would stop even going over bumpy roads, but it seemed to come back especially when either braking or accelerating.
A quick search of the web came up with a couple of possible sources, number one being the front struts or in the 981 models some loose styrofoam padding under the fuel tank.
Would appreciate any comments unrelated noises especially from 981 owners.
Thanks for any help in advance.
a few months back the car needed a (and I'm paraphrasing here) camshaft actuator solenoid. The car developed a super rough idle, which only smoothed out somewhat with the Sport throttle setting on. Also, a device that regulates gearbox (manual) cooling went bad. ~ 75,000 miles.
Thanks for the reply, Last
I'm hoping it's not the Styrofoam under the tank because the fix requires considerable disassembly..including removal of the tank . Supposedly, this was a common enough problem on early 981's to prompt a TSB.
No strange noises with mine, Mike. Mine's at about 54K miles.
Found a YouTube video of a UK owner with the same issue on a 991.1 and he found it to be the plastic battery compartment cover which covers the battery, brake fluid reservoir and wipers.
After examining the mounting points in the underside of the cover it seemed clear that there were a couple things missing to secure the cover in the front trunk compartment.
There's a metal clip that slides into a locking position on both sides and a plastic post in the middle front which seems to provide the most positive locking pressure in the compartment. One Clip was missing and most of the plastic post was broken off in the center. After reattaching the clip and making sure it was positioned properly in the compartment ,the noise dropped way off but it's not exactly perfect. I may try to come up with a way to make it a little more strongly connected somehow in there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login