Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
How is it possible to turbocharge an electric motor? confused smiley
Had the same thought! The power of branding!
You can turbo charge anything..even laundry detergent
There are two models to start with – the Taycan Turbo and Taycan Turbo S, both merrily and confusingly named after a forced induction system they don't have. Porsche has decided that Turbo simply means "fast" in the new electric world, gambling that in 20 years' time everyone will have forgotten the hoops people had to jump through to extract more power out of combustion engines in the first century of the automobile age. "Words have meanings," comes the plaintive cry of the petrolheads and English majors. "Language evolves," grins Porsche, not really caring which side of the fence you land on. The world marches forward, and we feel a little older, and the kids' music seems to be getting worse all the time.
Maybe they add an artificial turbo whoosh sound feature inside the car! smiling smiley
CarreraLicious
Maybe they add an artificial turbo whoosh sound feature inside the car! smiling smiley

My prediction three years ago. There'd be a BSE. And.... it is going to be an option, just Porsche will call it PSE.

[pedrosboard.com]

I imagine the ultimate will be the Burmester version.
I agree! Once car makers started artificial sounds, it became obvious that teenagers (or those with old teenage minds) wanted cars that "sounded" right - largely for nostalgia. "Turbo" has become a keyword for high performance, and using it now is an understandable marketing hype that ties back to an illustrious history. Tesla's "Ludicrous" be damned! I doubt that it comes with a built-in Lag.
Make it faster
Boxsterra - 4 years ago
turbocharge (verb)
* to add speed or energy to (something)
I am pretty sure that Turbotax does not install an air induction/pressurization system to your PC or theirs. So it is arguably fair to say that turbo and turbocharging have entered the common language as something other than the mechanical definition.
That said, an automobile is mechanical. One could legitimately suggest that a statement that a motor vehicle is a "turbo" or is "turbocharged" requires the vehicle to, in fact, have a turbocharger in it. The failure to have one, could be deemed a misleading statement as a matter of law. Plus, why would a company want the unnecessary confusion? I would actually invite discussion on the topic, because this kind of branding and advertising matters. If they called in "Menlocharged" or a "Faraday Charger" that would be fine because (as far as I know) those have no independent meaning which might be misleading to consumers. Turbo means something other than fast in the auto business.

Then again, this is from a company the parent of which invented the diesel cheating scandal. So this is mild by comparison.
[en.wiktionary.org]-

And there's another reference online that implies "turbo" goes back to the early 1600s.
JMstamford,ct
Then again, this is from a company the parent of which invented the diesel cheating scandal. So this is mild by comparison.

I don't think the parent company invented it.
I think they were the first ones to get caught.
But the regulatory agencies and governments bring it upon themselves, when they mandate changes that are practically impossible due to time/cost limitations.
YMMV.
Happy Porsche'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
In common parlance, "turbo" means "faster". It is faster. What harm could be claimed because they didn't use a turbocharger in their turbo car?
Stop being logical, Boxsterra winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
The standard, as I understand it, is: could a statement mislead a "reasonable" consumer?
There might be more to it, like the statement must contain something that is untrue or something like that.

All of the above is base upon my 30+ year old recollection of a "consumer law" class that I took in law school. It is very likely the law has changed or advanced since then or that my recollection is faulty.

That said, if I was advising a company, and they wanted to put "turbo" branding on a car that did not have a turbocharger, I would strongly advise legal research by an expert and perhaps an opinion from the FTC or something.

I get that such advice might be deemed belt and suspenders by some, but better that than to be shown with one's pants down.
Nevertheless, I'm curious. I don't see how it could be against the law to mislead a customer on something (like exactly what tech is used in the car) which couldn't be shown to be consequential to the consumer. IOW, no harm, no foul.
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Excellent....have fun smileys with beer

porsche has invented forced electrons induction. they just haven't told anyone.
as the electrons leave the electric motors, they spin a rotor that is attached to another rotor that forces more incoming electrons into the motor thus providing more power.
i'm surprised that all you gearheads hear didn't know that.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Then there’s the starter motor’s pinion, and the flywheel teeth. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2019 09:06AM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login