Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
986 base - top issue
bb1 - 4 years ago
Hello board members
I have a 2000 Boxster and never have had any trouble w/ the top (though rarely used). Today while driving the car along I noticed the convertible top light on the dash was staying lit while driving......so suspected some sort of issue.....I wanted to see if the top still worked, so I put attempted to put the top down and it did work to go down (though w/ fair amt of racket). But when I then tried to raise the top, it went a couple inches up only and then no more. Sounded like the motor to raise it cut out or something. I could lower it again to full open....but again the issue is that the top won't raise up and close now (also the side windows won't close completely).

The parking brake was on while trying to operate the top. And the parking brake sensor I believe is fine - I can activate/deactivate the parking brake handle and the light for that on the dash goes on/off normally.

I saw some youtube video that led me to believe possible some convertible top relay (986.618.199.00) has gone bad.

Any ideas? If it's just the relay that seems pretty easy to fix myself. If it's more a matter of the motor inside the convertible top going bad or some of the cabling/etc, then I will have to get help.

Thanks in advance
You have a mechanical problem, probably one of the ball sockets broke or just popped out.
Sounds like one or both of the transmissions has a broken gear.
The gear is replaceable but it requires patience and attention to detail to do it correctly.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Thanks all - I checked the Bently manual for the fuses involved and they looked fine. Based on some of the responses here (and not too surprising for a 20 year old car), it sounds like something mechanical wore out or failed probably.....it's going to be too much for me to try and fix myself. I will just take it to my shop and see what they say. Not looking forward to paying for it though!
you say that the issue is that the top won't go up now. there's a manual procedure for raising the top. IIRC it's in the owner's manual. someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

when the top is in its fully open position, i.e. totally recessed in its cubby hole in back, your windows should go up fully. if they don't then either the top isn't fully retracted or else the switch that tells the system that it is isn't functioning properly.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login