Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Normally the switch making a clicking sound when I remove the key. Now, there is no click. The car runs great, no starting problems. Is this a warning sign of an eminent failure?

Thanks.

Tony
It's not the switch that makes the sound when you pull out the key, it's the mechanical locking mechanism that clunks.
But a faulty switch not returning fully may cause it to get hung up or the locking mechanism sometimes fails as well.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I make it a point to regularly (a few times a year) to clean my ignition switch with DeoxIT D5 Cleaner to clean the electrical contacts, followed by a spray of DeoxIT S5 Sheid which lubricates the mechanical part and protects the contacts. I think switch in my '03 is original (Pedro would know) and every time I remove the key I get that satisfying "clunk." Give it a try.

Gary

2003 Boxster Base - Midnight Blue Metallic, Savanna Beige, Metropol Blue
Directly onto the key hole. Insert and remove key a few times to work it in. After a short wait to let the D5 cleaner dry, then spray the S5 shield and repeat with key. If you don't get the clunk when removing the key after this, it sounds like you will need to replace the switch.

Gary

2003 Boxster Base - Midnight Blue Metallic, Savanna Beige, Metropol Blue
For the 2000, it's also a cheap fix to replace the switch (although it involves an ability to contort oneself). The part is a Porsche/Audi/VW common part. I got mine (my second one) years ago from the local Audi dealer. You might want to replace it for $20 'cause you can.
It is not "hard" but you really need a VERY small screwdriver.

I actually took a screw bit and built it up with tape to get sufficient traction.
I just replaced it this weekend. Damn it was hard to get to.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login