Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I installed a Back Up Camera on my 981 Boxster GTS over the last couple of days. The unit is from Maxspeed Motorsports in Florida. Total time for the installation was around 5 hours with me stopping frequently and testing to make sure that everything worked as I did the install. When I ordered my car in 2015, the only way to get a back up camera was to order the Park Assist option, which was at least $1500. This approach was around $500 plus 5 hours of my labor. I am very happy with the product and the installation and would do it again. Link to Maxspeed Web Site: Maxspeed Motorsports Back Up Camera

Thanks to a PCA member for his post on the region web site back in October and for his write up. This provided the inspiration and invaluable information to augment Maxspeed‘s instructions. Here is his post: AR PCA Back Up Camera Article

A couple of notes of my own regarding the installation: Reinstalling the right rear taillight is tricky. You have to line up two grooves and probe and it did not want to cooperate. Also the business of fishing the camera video and power connectors into the taillight area is tricky with very tight clearances. Otherwise it just took patience and a firm hand with the pry tools to pop off the interior panels - there were 8 of them that had to be removed! One other item of note - the camera is mounted on one of the license plate LED lights. I noticed that the color of the light is different on the one with the camera (right side) vs. the Porsche OEM light (left side). Not a big deal - just an observation.

Hey JG, I just installed the same kit today in my '14S. So far everything went great, but when my wife ordered it for Christmas, she didn't rent the PMC reprogramming tool. Did you use their tool or have another option? I'm going to talk to my dealer to see if he will do it, otherwise I'll probably have MaxSpeed send their tool and pay the $69.

Cheers!

Bob
I rented their tool. The programming step using their tool is very fast and very easy. It took me less than 5 minutes to do the programming. They only have a limited number of them, so I had to wait a couple of weeks to receive it, but the unit was programmed and camera installed in less than a week after I received it.
Thanks! I'm going to see if my independent Porsche mechanic has the PIWIS scanner, otherwise I'll check my dealer and last resort, get on the waiting list for the max-speed tool. I have it installed, just can't use it yet.

Bob
I made an appointment at my local mechanic that had a PIWIS II unit, and provided the minimal instructions given by Max-Speed: Scan The Car > Select PCM > Rear View Camera > Check the box > hit F12. The mechanic tried a few times but was not able to get the PCM to recognize the camera. I contacted Max-Speed and I'm waiting to hear back on an ETA for their coding tool.
I fiddled around with my Durametric, and it does not do the coding. The MaxSpeed OBDII coding tool is quick, easy, and foolproof.
Yes, I talked to Nello and he had a coder on hand that he overnighted to me and now I can look forward to go backwards. smiling smiley Nello and Maxspeed have been great to work with!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login