Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Can someone give me an estimate of how much time my mechanic should charge me for if I have him replace the microswitch ($8 part, thanks Porsche) on my 2000 Boxster? I'm speaking of the one in the center console.

Seems like it should be under an hour for someone competent - and my guys are terrific - but I'd like an estimate to know if they are in the ballpark or using me as their ATM.

Thanks.

Andrew
are you talking about the one that detects the handbrake being on or the press-button to raise and lower the top?

for the handbrake one, i just defeated it at the relay box so i wouldn't be nanny-ed about having the brake on. i don't know how much of the console needs to be removed to access it. that's what could take time.

for the push button, that's a super easy replacement and should take 15 minutes tops.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
In my case, I'm referring to the microswitch (push button module) that turns the 'brake' light on in the dash.

I picked up the part from the dealer for $10. All the youtube videos tell me it's a time consuming, reasonably easy (two sizes of torx screw) job.

For all the experts out there (and I'm a mechanically challenged idiot), any reason why I shouldn't do this on my own? After pulling the battery, the only mechanical parts involved appear to be the plugs controlling the windows and heaters - ie there doesn't appear to be anything I can break doing this myself. Am I correct?

My indy wants $300 to do the job (which is likely fair given his time); I'm just thinking this would be fun for my son and I to tackle.

Thanks for the input.

Andrew
It’s an easy job, and you can’t really mess it up. I did it years ago on my Boxster, and it was not difficult at all. Go for it!
CarreraLicious
It’s an easy job, and you can’t really mess it up. I did it years ago on my Boxster, and it was not difficult at all. Go for it!

i agree. not a difficult job at all. but the hack is easier still winking smiley

--
Can you post a link to the hack?

Andrew
[sites.google.com]
[www.renntech.org]

--
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login