Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Looking for suggestions where to source a new top for my Boxster. Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated. Thanks
[gahh.com]

Gary

2003 Boxster Base - Midnight Blue Metallic, Savanna Beige, Metropol Blue
Thanks, that’s the one I am looking at.
New or used? Plastic window or glass? DIY or shop? If shop, will shop allow you to bring parts?

Best...IMHO a good condition used 2003-2004 complete top and frame from a wreck and swap it yourself.
New with heated glass window. installation is way beyond my limited skills. Looking for a shop to do it, west side of Toronto GTA.
You absolutely need to replace with a top from a 2003-04. I upgraded my 2000 2.7. Best upgrade I could have done.

Those have the glass rear window with defogger - needed for northern climes.
Those also have the headliner that although cheapish, does make a difference.

If you have a helper, it is a DIY job. Basically a few bolts on either side. The hardest part is lining up the bolts upon re-installation. If you have a shop do it, probably an 60-90 minutes.

You can source a like new top from one of the dismantlers -- dc Automotive or LA Dismantlers, for instance.
If you search here, I posted directions a year or so ago.
Links to the complete directions as .PDF files.

go here: [sites.google.com]

At the very end of the ariticle there are active links for download - they look like this:

BOXSTERConvtopconversionPARTIformatt.pdf

Mechanical directions for removing and installing the top

BOXSTERConvtopconversionPARTIIformat.pdf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2020 10:22AM by JMstamford,ct. (view changes)
Thank you for your help and suggestions. I am going to order a new top with the heated glass window and find someone locally to install it.
Understand the top from a used 2003-4 car would come with a frame that was different than the one in your car and is superior. It's installation is a 90 minute job by two people, not complex at all.

Ordering a glass window top and having someone install it is a much much longer job and more expensive if you have someone else do it.

Ask the shop if they have ever installed a GAHH top would be a clue as to their experience as it is a common brand of replacement top with glass window that gets installed onto your existing frame.
So am I better to try and get hold of a 2003/2004 top and install it or am i better to order a GAHH top. My local installer in Southern Ontario wants $2500 Cdn to install a new top with plastic window or $2900 Cdn. for a new top with glass window. He has a supplier.
Iwas There (Toronto)
So am I better to try and get hold of a 2003/2004 top and install it or am i better to order a GAHH top. My local installer in Southern Ontario wants $2500 Cdn to install a new top with plastic window or $2900 Cdn. for a new top with glass window. He has a supplier.

Considering the actual labour involved and the materials needed, $2900CDN doesn't sound out of line to me. I got a quote of $1700CDN for the top and $130CDN per hour for minimum 7 hours or $910CDN labour totalling $2610 several years ago. Considering the CDN$ is now in the toilet and labour rates have risen this quote seems in line.

And if you are considering doing it your self check the 986forum as well as renlist and read some of the stories there. Anyone I have read that has done it say they would gladly pay a pro if they had to do it again since it was incredibly frustrating and time consuming.
It will cost less and will be a factory installed part.

While GAHH is a well known aftermarket - it is not factory. Results would depend upon your installer.

While the installation is not "easy," it is straightforward.

It is an upgrade I heartily endorse and would do again for sure.
would cost about half what a new glass window GAHH top installed by a professional. The install is pretty straight forward. The only reason you need two people is to lift the old top off and the new top on without scratching.

Start by calling some of these or just emailing/PMing them

Whaletail Canada [www.whaletailcanada.com]

NineApart [www.nineapart.com]

PORSCHAPART Toronto Canada 416-798-9598 [www.porschapart.com]

black gold import auto parts in Nisku( Edmonton) Alberta
also
JM-Stamford,CT - 4 years ago
LADismantlers - they are one of the highest volume recyclers.

dcAutomotive - they are east coast US.

Both had decent prices about a year ago when I started looking to do my car.
Why I gave him a list of Canadian sources known to part out our cars.
Yup, importing stuff right now is slow but still doable. Appreciate your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login