Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Designed by Porsche to fit your car, not an aftermarket unit: CarPlay for your 986 or Classic 911
For the single DIN and to be used in a Classic Porsche, I get it and it's probably worth it if the car is driven by the owner.
For the double DIN, an aftermarket unit such as Pioneer or similar with a custom bezel would look the part at a fraction of the cost.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
having a large display with android auto in my 986 would be a game changer. now all i need is another 986.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
For example (but there are lots): [www.joyingauto.com]
... since it doesn't say PORSCHE on it! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

that doesn't look as bad as i expected. the units i've seen in the past have been so gaudy. i like this new porsche unit because it looks original.

--
What is a "joying port"

That unit promises a lot of functionality for like no cost. $239 is very inexpensive - dare I say cheap?

I wonder if it over promises....

I am not one to discount Chinese products wholesale, since I bet all of our phones and most of our electronics are made there, but this is almost too good to be true.
Joying makes several units that are popular with Porsche owners. A few of the many examples:

In the last photo of the full unit at the bottom of the ad. The photo depicts the rear and the connections. At the bottom right.
Ah, found it
Boxsterra - 3 years ago
That's just a proprietary plug. When you buy the unit you tell them what car you have and they provide a wiring harness adapter, which plugs into that port. The one I linked connects to the CAN bus, among other things.
There's a stereo in my car? I haven't found it yet. Gonna have to check the manual.

Gary

2003 Boxster Base - Midnight Blue Metallic, Savanna Beige, Metropol Blue
grc0456
There's a stereo in my car? I haven't found it yet. Gonna have to check the manual.

Gary, You haven't checked your whole car. Of course there's a stereo. Speakers are located behind you. The power switch is located to the left of the steering column.

Models up to and including the 981 and a few specialty models, since then, play the most wonderful rendition of Symphony in Flat Six. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2020 11:18AM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Of course, Guenter, you are correct. I know from experience yours has a audiophile-quality system!

Gary

2003 Boxster Base - Midnight Blue Metallic, Savanna Beige, Metropol Blue
Guenter in Ontario

Gary, You haven't checked your whole car. Of course there's a stereo. Speakers are located behind you. The power switch is located to the left of the steering column.

... and the volume control is under your right foot smiling smiley

--
I am able to attach my phone to the car via and aux port that I installed for like $40.

I have hands free phone and stereo and map directions.

yes, the maps display on my phone, but that is plenty large enough for the very limited times I need it.

What additional functionality will this new offering provide?
I don't know what this unit has and there probably are things that don't immediately come to mind but here are a few:

Bigger screen
Stable mount
Clean, factory look
Physical buttons for common functions
Camera views
Radio (mainly for when internet isn't available)
Hard wire to OBD-2 data

what else?
Bigger and fixed screen is both a positive and a negative. I suspect that most people will still require their car mounts anyway. For may part, my phone is on the seat or in the oddments tray either way.

clean look. Ok - there is one less wire. That is a +.

Physical buttons. Well I have a blackberry - so i already have physical buttons, but I submit that such a thing is both positive and negative. The phones will always advance year over year, but the installed unit will stay the same. In other words adapting the newer phones to the car is easy. Updating the car, not so much. Now clearly the upgrade for say a 1983 would be substantial and worth it. But for a 986? I am not convinced.

What camera views? What cameras? So if'n you want to install one - then maybe you could get video through this unit?

My radio works fine (ish) - no radio works well anymore. So that is a net neutral.

So OBD hard wire. That is an upgrade - and depending upon functionality, it might be a worthwhile upgrade. Will you get PWIS or equivalent in the car? I suspect not. If just ordinary OBD-II stuff, there are equally good if not better options out there. For now that is a modest +

So other than the Porsche name, I remain confused about why I would want this as opposed to my set up now.
Hmm
Boxsterra - 3 years ago
What is the negative to a big fixed screen? You will not need to mount your phone in this case because you can mirror the cell phone screen on the bigger, easier to access built-in unit.

You cannot possibly tell me that your blackberry buttons are as easy to access as 1" wide buttons and knobs that are on the Porsche unit.

Cameras are cheap. You can clip one onto your front plat, back plate, or mirror and there are plenty of other ways to mount them that are easy. If you get into an accident, having a video of it can be worth a lot.
Well ...
JM-Stamford,CT - 3 years ago
I do not like screens on my dash or close.

In our Volvo, the screen dominates everything. Last thing I want to do is mimic that - even a little bit. In any event, the LAST thing I want is a bigger screen.
Folks will still need to mount their phone someplace. They do in the most modern cars. For the specific reasons, you would have to ask them.

I do not need to look at my BB except for things on the screen. So either neutral or +1 for the BB.

Re cameras - ok I accept that. But again, I have them on the Volvo (360 deg) and I cannot find a use for them. Other than the backup camera I think they are a waste. Just more tech clutter.

What I really NEED are station preset buttons. There are none on the modern stuff. I cannot even change the station in the Volvo.

I do like the unit in my e90. And but for bluetooth - which I could get from Pedro - I am pretty happy with the 986 unit with the $40 upgraded aux.

Bottom line - I do not see $2000 here.
$269 - sure. That is purely a subjective decision. If you like it - I am all in for that model.

At $269 - I do not see a downside.
I have stated (in connection with the Volvo specifically) that touch screens should be banned in cars.

I said this because there are no station presets on the Volvo radio. You need to look at the touch screen and hit the specific thing you want while the car is moving.
As a result, I cannot change the station in the Volvo unless I pull over.

The mere fact that you need to focus on the infotainment system instead of just touching one button - which can be done without looking - drives me nuts.

In the Boxster, I can change stations, switch to a CD (less often now) or switch to aux all without looking. I do need to either look or use google assistant to play a song or album though.

The new PCCM does not have preset buttons and you cannot do things without looking.
Au contraire
Boxsterra - 3 years ago
You can control it by voice
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login