Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
In my '99 986, I'm in the process of replacing/upgrading the ignition switch/lock mechanical & electrical components (the new part will arrive on Tuesday). I've got the steering lock housing out of the car but am unable to get the key lock barrel out of the housing. I'm following directions from a number of sources, including from the 986 workshop manual, section 48-07-19 (Removing and installing lock barrel). Although a couple of sources say that the hole into which a steel wire is to be inserted *must* be at the 7 o'clock position, mine is at the 1 o'clock position which, I assume, is where it's always been since I bought the car new. In fact, the diagram in the Boxster workshop manual shows the hole in the 1 o'clock position.

With the housing on my workbench, I've got the key in position 1 (ignition on) and press a 1.5mm hex wrench into the hole (I've tried smaller tools; the manual says 1.5mm is max), but it only goes in about 1/4". Some have seemed to suggest that the steel wire should go in much further than that. I've wiggled the key and turned it back and forth a bit while pulling on it, but no joy.

Any advice? Thanks.

--- Tom
I use a heavy-duty paper clip as my tumbler tool.
It needs to go about 1/2 inch or more in order to unlock.
I rounded the tip of the wire so that it would not catch on any edges inside the tumbler.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Thanks you so much, Pedro. Knowing how far in I had to push the clip was a big help. I got the barrel out, installed the new steering lock assembly, and successfully put the lock barrel back into the new part. Everything works great now.

Thanks again.

--- Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login