Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
"I think I'll change the oil. Well, as long as I've got it up in the air and I have a little extra time around the house..."

I haven't gotten far! Complete:
Oil & filter
Cleaned the radiators.

Work in progress:
Bought a new frunk latch surround
Painting and rebuilding calipers (gloss black with red PORSCHE) & fluid flush
New rotors and pads
P0446 evap canister fiddling
Replacing 4 spark plug tubes (replaced two earlier)
Painting front grills
Serp belt
Checking/cleaning/topping PS fluid
PDR on driver front fender
Retrofit new headlight gasket/rubber
Replacing/repairing/rigging a bunch-o-broken-plastic
Air filter
Clean and rebalance wheels

If I'm still feeling it:
Preventative AOS
Transmission oil

Dreaming on:
Painting wheel centers dark blue metallic

Fun find:
valet key duct taped inside the front bumper. Let me tell you...doing stuff like this is only helpful if you remember that you did it. My guess is that I put the key there 15-18 years ago.

Thanks to:
Guenter for the new photo posting instructions
Pedro for the Board and Garage DIY
You all for helping to keep me accountable...to get this done by the end of May and DRIVE
That's great work! Driving after all that effort will be all the sweeter! And how about that stiff Boxster chassis ... almost looks as though it only takes one Quick-Jack on the port side to raise the whole car!

Into every Boxster's life a little rain must fall ! Managed to get caught in a heavy spring downpour a few days ago. The upside to not having purchased a Spyder ... one latch, one button, 12 seconds and dry as a bone!

PS: Happy Mothers Day to all the Moms in the Boxsterverse!

Opinions wanted...
SMILIN - 3 years ago
I spent a lot of time cleaning/prepping calipers today. So much time (and not done) that I don't want to end up with a ho-hum result. I'm second-thinking painting them black.

I probably won't paint my wheel centers dark blue metallic. They're in good shape and I've got plenty of other things to do. My car/wheels look like this:

I don't want red, yellow or orange. And I don't want the calipers to scream "look at me." But black? Dark gray? I'm not feeling it.

"Aluminum"...a little brighter than the Arctic Silver with red PORSCHE

Dark blue (dark ford blue, non-metallic) with silver PORSCHE

Other suggestions? Black w/red?

Thanks
Looking for examples of brake caliper colours other than the usual suspects is like trying to find hen's teeth. Then I came across this Black Chrome ll colour from Prismatic Powders ... it has a gun metal blue/grey appearance that looks good with the red Porsche lettering. Something like that might work with your wheels?

Me, I'd continue with the sliver and black theme. Keep the calipers black, but maybe find some silver lettering instead of white.
I sure appreciate your opinions. I'm keeping this car forever, so I'm not trying to please anyone else (esp a future buyer). After a good night sleep and a brisk walk, I'm back to leaning to black. My thoughts..."Aluminum" is too different from the Arctic Silver, but not different enough. The gunmetal is too different from the wheel centers, but not different enough. I guess I already have enough going on in the wheel area with the polished rims and gray centers, shiny rotors and aged suspension bits...I don't need something totally off like blue. Although, have I mentioned that Sapphire Blue Metallic is the greatest color ever? smiling smiley Yellow screams. Red is reserved, IMHO. It'll be a few days before I paint, so who knows what I'll think tomorrow!

Indybox - good call on the perfect weight disti of the car. smiling smiley I'll pull the jack stands and take another picture to complete the illusion.

Trygve...Sonoma or Thunderhill? I'm ready for a drive and social call. Also, FYI, the 2nd and 3rd pics in the thread are from 2009. The car does still look good...but not that good. smiling smiley Having raised the car back to 4x4 height is the reason that I'm tightening up the front end...the underside plastic and tub really took a beating over the years while lowered.
SMILIN
Trygve...Sonoma or Thunderhill? I'm ready for a drive and social call. Also, FYI, the 2nd and 3rd pics in the thread are from 2009. The car does still look good...but not that good. smiling smiley Having raised the car back to 4x4 height is the reason that I'm tightening up the front end...the underside plastic and tub really took a beating over the years while lowered.

Thunderhill, 5-mile course. It looks to be definitely on. I'll be there, and most likely with the car.
Car still looks great!

Tentatively planning to get mine out to the track on June 1.
My 2016 Boxster S is Sapphire Blue Metallic. It is hard to drive down the street without people stopping to watch the car go by. I don't know if it would work as a caliper color though. Trygve do you think Thunderhill is going to happen?
Progress...
SMILIN - 3 years ago
Slow progress due to many other activities and projects, but progress. The caliper painting came out much better than I expected. One decal is placed a little high and the wet coat is a little light in a few less-obvious spots, but all in all, I'm pleased. I should have the brakes reassembled and bled in the next couple of days.

Re: Progress...
SMILIN - 3 years ago

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 05:07PM by SMILIN. (view changes)
Slooooow progress. I ran out of motivation to do the full list at this time. Got the brakes back together and have given her a drive. SO NICE to be driving her again after many weeks on jack stands.

Another item to add to the list: polish the center cap and get it pointed to the valve stem!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login