Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Well I couldn't stand it any longer. I bought the darn gosh new knobs and watched the how to video 10 times and did it!

Before: Out of Vehicle

Old AC by me185001, on Flickr

Compare old and new.eye popping smiley

AC old and New by me185001, on Flickr

After: out of the vehicle grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley

AC unit by me185001, on Flickr

Installed back in the Boxster and all works.

MIKELLIG
Boxsterra
n/t

Thank You. I am happy with the results.

MIKELLIG
what on earth?
frogster - 3 years ago
what happened to the original ones? i remember a long time ago some people, including myself, had problems with the door armrests peeling in the 986 models. i covered mine with leather and they looked nice.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Looks great Mike. thumbs up

Do you have a write up or instruction and button source for the replacement? That seems to happen with the temperature and fan buttons on the 987. I had that happen with on my 2006. I took it to the dealer. They claimed they couldn't just replace the buttons and the whole control unit was replaced. That was done while it was still under warranty.

Now all you need is some warm weather to get out and enjoy taking that new unit for a nice test run. Not only do those button look great, but the smooth paint should improve aerodynamics and knock about 0.2 second off your 0 - 60 times. winking smiley
Guenter in Ontario
Looks great Mike. thumbs up

Do you have a write up or instruction and button source for the replacement? That seems to happen with the temperature and fan buttons on the 987. I had that happen with on my 2006. I took it to the dealer. They claimed they couldn't just replace the buttons and the whole control unit was replaced. That was done while it was still under warranty.

Now all you need is some warm weather to get out and enjoy taking that new unit for a nice test run. Not only do those button look great, but the smooth paint should improve aerodynamics and knock about 0.2 second off your 0 - 60 times. winking smiley

Thanks.

The funny thing was when I removed the unit it was fabricated a year after (date code on the unit) the car was delivered to New Port Beach Porsche. It looks like the unit was replaced..probably because of the peeling levers.

I got these units at Climate repair as well.

[climarepair.com]

I watched this video for the re and re:

[www.youtube.com]

You are right Guenter, the car is much faster now as I am not being distracted by the cosmetic imperfections.the finger smiley

MIKELLIG
... or the "use-by (expiration) date"?
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I did that in my 997 too....last time at Gundo’s TSBL. There’s several YouTube videos out there that show you how to remove and replace those HVAC levers. I got my replacement levers from Climarepair. Got em for around $120 when they had a sale. Not cheap but cheaper than a whole new unit. It’s actually a pretty easy swap out.

Remove and replace. Good as new:

They even are backlit through the icons at night too:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2020 07:56AM by CarreraLicious. (view changes)
Here is the finished unit in the Boxster!

HVAC by me185001, on Flickr

smiling bouncing smiley

MIKELLIG
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login