Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
But why?
Boxsterra - 3 years ago
Taking the transmission out is not that much work and getting the engine out with the tranny out is much easier. He underplayed the difficulty of getting the clutch and flywheel out with the transmission still installed.
Basically, he has the car at a friend's garage. They can only work on the 986 when other work is not going on.
So they roll the car in and out.

I still think they could have pulled the engine and tranny together WAY faster than it took to pull it this way.
If they needed to put the tranny back in - to roll the chassis around, that would have been pretty easy - seems to me.

But both guys made clear this is the first P car they have ever worked on. The tech seems to do a lot of mods on American cars/trucks.
but I don't know.

They bought the car for like free. It had a turbo or supercharger on it and the prior owner basically blew the engine to bits.

I am pretty stunned he was able to get the engine out alone. They stated it was a 20 hour job. I believe that might be conservative.

It will be a fun channel to watch.
Indeed
Boxsterra - 3 years ago
all of these jobs get much easier with experience. You learn which steps are needed or helpful. And you learn from your mistakes. If you're working on your own car (depending on where you are), you replace corroded bolts and stuck parts. One morning I installed the transmission and exhaust then realized that I had forgotten some stuff. So I took it off, fixed the stuff, and put it back on. No big deal.
Wow!
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - 3 years ago
22 hours!
I guess they learned a lot with this exercise.
An experienced tech can drop the engine in less than 2 hours by himself.
My favorite Master Tech (Max) has done it in 47 minutes!
These guys disassembled way more than necessary and didn't remove parts that hampered engine removal like the diagonal braces and skid plate.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Basically, the guy was looking for a lockdown project.
The Boxster was local and almost free and had a supercharger.

He figured it would be a fun project. And here he is.

Seems like a good guy - Will be fun to watch.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login