Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Its been awhile since I have been on the board. I just moved to Las Vegas and am in need of someone quickly. I need oil change and service. But when I went to start the car after 4 months the battery was deader than dead. Called AAA, got it started but when I went to drive many alerts came up. Said the brake was on and it wasn't. Another was limited power steering, but could drive. I can't remember the other 3 right now. I just parked and figured I'll have it towed to an independent. Now I can't even get the key out of the ignition it's so dead.

Not sure if may just need a new battery and would solve all the problems.

Thanks for your help
Joanne

BTW .... I've been off the board because I went back to school. Competed my PhD at UCLA. Working front lines in Urgent Care as Nurse Practitioner. Had to leave my job when I moved, due to COVID no jobs in Vegas. So I'll just kinda retire until something comes along.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2020 10:11AM by Joanne in OC. (view changes)
Might be a good idea to check out the indies that are sponsors of the Las Vegas PCA:

[www.lvrpca.com]
Thank you ..... I called the 3 places they listed on Friday morning. none have called me back, possibly due to the holiday weekend.
That means I have let my car sit in the sun for 3 days sad smiley
Hey Joanne!
Most of the warnings will turn themselves off with a well-charged unit.
If you are replacing the battery, make sure that you replace it with the exact same specs (CCA, Ah) so that you don't have to reprogram.
Congrats on your PhD. Hope you find the job you want soon.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

PS: I guess you now need to change your moniker to Joanne in LV

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2020 04:53PM by Pedro (Odessa, FL). (view changes)
Thanks Pedro ...... I'm hoping it's just the battery, but still need my annual service and oil change.
Taking your recommendation, I've been searching for batteries. Is this one the correct one?

Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM Battery for 2014 Porsche Boxster H6 2.7L 650CCA
SLI94RAGM
5.0 star rating
Type: Standard
48 Month Free Replacement Warranty
2 complete batteries in 1! 100% starting power AND 100% reserve power for your power demands
AGM Technology - non-spillable, non-gassing & maintenance-free
Brand: Duracell UltraVoltage: 12Format: BCI Group 94RLead Acid Type: Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling), StartingCapacity: 80AHCold Cranking Amps: 800

OR this one:
ACDelco Advantage Battery 94RS Group Size 94R 720 CCA
# 94RS
Notes: *** 720 Cold cranking Amps ***. 145 reserve minutes. Battery is vented to outside of vehicle

I'm having a difficult time finding the AH that you listed.

LOL .... Always looking out for us. No, not going to change the moniker. I'm going back to Orange County next summer. Would have moved back to my house now, but the lease is signed until next July, so had to move to my condo in Vegas sine it was vacated in June. I'm just going to take it easy and have fun for awhile, and decide next year if I keep the Vegas condo. After the last 4 years, I just need a break.

Thanks for your help and expertise
Joanne
Look at the battery that's now installed.
It should have the CCA and Ah values.
You need to match those or the car needs reprogramming.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Success!!!
Joanne in OC - 3 years ago
Not sure if I got the right battery or not. I went to the Boxster and took a pic of the battery with the specs. Calling around, no one knew what i was talking about. The guy told me the one I purchased had more amps than I needed and will work in the Boxster. He didn't understand about resetting. ...... I bought the battery and went to the car, could not get the hood open. Earlier in the day I was able to use my portable jumper to open it by used the fuse box. This time, it would not work. Finally called AAA. Of course, after calling them, I was able to get it open. Started to remove the battery, but had difficulty in getting to the screws that held the bracket. After 1 1/2 hours AAA finally got to me. The guy was no nice and saw that I was really trying to change the battery that he completed it for me.

i started the Boxster, drove to the gas station for air in the tires. No alarms!!! Everything was working well. Engine sounded good and all my settings were there. I think I'm ok in not needing a reset. But, I do need the 30K service, have 28.5K on the car. Will do it a little early since it's been sitting so long. Hopefully, the independents will call me tomorrow and I can get established here.

Thank you!!!!
Joanne
The reason why you need a reprogram is not that you're going to get error messages, but that the alternator in these cars is controlled by the ECU and is variable.
The ECU needs to know the battery's specs so that it can charge the battery accordingly.
If you installed a higher CCA battery than the one you had, the car doesn't know that and will under charge it resulting in a quicker death of the battery and some issues with critical components that need very stable voltage, such as the PSM and others.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
are still here!!!! I've seen others who have posted recently. Nice to see.
For the past 4 years, I have been so busy with school and work, all my social activities went away. Haven't gotten back to BRBS, maybe next year. Would like to see the new venue. In a couple of years, I may even drive to it.

How are you doing? Anything new and different?
Joanne
We're holding up well, aging in place and laying low thanks to the SoFL COVID spike, Joanne. In our new abnormal world, everything is different. winking smiley

The GT-4 I had on order would have been just arriving, but I canceled it in February, since I wouldn't have it for BRBS this year, but then BRBS was cancelled. sad smiley

Probably better for me, as I'll now get a Cayman 4.0 GTS, a better street car, IMHO. I better have it for 2021 BRBS.

The new digs that Scott and Ron founds is great! Everyone had a fine time last year. We'll be expecting to see you there!

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login