Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Good day everyone,
I'm working on a family friends 1999 Boxster, it has been sitting few years only being started regularly to keep all the juices flowing. She has decided to sell the car and asked that I spruce it up a bit for her to sell. Everything In the car works with two exceptions, the auto climate control(doesn't even light up), and a portion of the instrument cluster ( only temperature and fuel work, along with all the lights at the bottom and turn signals all working fine) tach, speedo, odometer and whatever on the 3 led screens does not show.
I have been through every fuse, and the only one that is bad or blown is E7, it blows as soon as the key is turned. Anyone experience a similar problem? Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Not sure if it's normal or not but I can press the on button on the radio anytime and it will play is that normal? Factory Porsche cassette radio.

Thanks, Tim
The E7 fuse is for the A/C.
Disconnect the Climate Control unit, replace the fuse and turn on the ignition.
If the fuse blows there's something in the wiring harness. If it doesn't blow, the Climate Control unit is shorted.
I don't think that a blown E7 fuse would have any effect on the instrument cluster.
These cars tend to have issues(after 20 years) with the cluster's connectors that become so brittle that they disintegrate and lose some of the contacts.
Good luck.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Alright I pulled the climate control unit and replaced the fuse, key on did not blow the fuse. I start plugging connectors back in on the unit and it pops the fuse when the large black connector is plugged in. Inside the climate unit looks very good nothing fuzzy or crispy. Any ideaS? Thanks in advance.
I also pulled the cluster all the clips and plugs were in great shape, they all were tight and nothing changed when I wiggled them all. I also unplugged and reseated them as well. The car had a clutch done just before she parked it, is it possible they left something unplugged under there?
... the HVAC control unit is damaged (shorted).
If there's no obvious visual problem, you'll have to replace it since trying to repair it would be guessing at what components to change. There are no schematics of the unit and they are not serviceable.
Try to find a salvaged one from the same model year as your car if possible.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Thanks, I will checkin the morning.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login