Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Hi guys - I'm hoping you can give me a bit of advice on how best to proceed.

I have a 1999 986 with a scroch over 110,000 mi. I don't drive it frequently - maybe, once or twice a month (more in any season but the summer when it's just too damn hot.).

Anyhow, Thursday I'm heading back to work from lunch and my break wear sensor light comes on. I was moving at the time and not touching the brakes at all.
About 1/2 mile later, slowing then stopping for a traffic light, the brake pedal goes to the floor. Luckily, i was moving slowly enough to pull the e-brake and stop safely without any issue. There's an import shop just around the corner from my work, so I limp my way there - maybe 2 miles from where the brake sensor light came on, and 1 mi from the light where the brake pedal went to the floor.

Guy at the shop comes out within a minute of when I arrive, listens to my story, looks at the front and back brakes quickly just kneeling on the ground, check my brake fluid level and says, "I think it's your master cylinder that's failed.". Yep, OK, exactly what I was thinking too. He says, leave the car with him and he'll have a closer look today.

This afternoon I get a call from guy. He says that he now does not think it's the master cylinder, but something going on with the front calipers (original parts to car). That both appear to be seized. Hmmm. Interesting.

I know these parts do fail on occasion, but, seems like the likelihood that BOTH front calipers would fail at the exact same time is unlikely. Also, there was no strong odor or anything unusual that he nor I noticed when I first got to the shop, and you would think a person would notice that kind of drag if both calipers were engaged or stuck, right? I mean, I'm blonde, but not that blonde.

This guy has done a ton of work, good work, for many co-workers and company, and I do not for a second believe there is any nefarious intent. Just curious if anyone has had or heard of anything similar? Or any thoughts on what might be going on here?

thanks much!
Amy
... clutch slave cylinder on top of the tranny?
See if it's leaking. It uses the same fluid as the brakes and is known to fail sporadically.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Guys - Just curious, and please forgive my ignorance - but, how does the clutch slave interact with the braking system? Seems like those would be two completely separate systems in the car. Thanks!
Amy
the clutch slave doesn't really interact with the brakes. the clutch is hydraulic and it simply uses the brake fluid from the same brake fluid reservoir that the brakes use. thus, when you flush the brake system, you're supposed to flush the clutch system as well in order to be sure to replace all of the old fluid with fresh fluid.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Aha - got it. Thanks for the clarification! When I took the car in, the mechanic did look at the brake fluid reservoir and it was clearly still full, so he said he didn't think there was a brake fluid leak.
boehmaj986

Anyhow, Thursday I'm heading back to work from lunch and my break wear sensor light comes on. I was moving at the time and not touching the brakes at all.
About 1/2 mile later, slowing then stopping for a traffic light, the brake pedal goes to the floor. Luckily, i was moving slowly enough to pull the e-brake and stop safely without any issue. There's an import shop just around the corner from my work, so I limp my way there - maybe 2 miles from where the brake sensor light came on, and 1 mi from the light where the brake pedal went to the floor.

Guy at the shop comes out within a minute of when I arrive, listens to my story, looks at the front and back brakes quickly just kneeling on the ground, check my brake fluid level and says, "I think it's your master cylinder that's failed.". Yep, OK, exactly what I was thinking too. He says, leave the car with him and he'll have a closer look today.

This afternoon I get a call from guy. He says that he now does not think it's the master cylinder, but something going on with the front calipers (original parts to car). That both appear to be seized. Hmmm. Interesting.

I know these parts do fail on occasion, but, seems like the likelihood that BOTH front calipers would fail at the exact same time is unlikely. Also, there was no strong odor or anything unusual that he nor I noticed when I first got to the shop, and you would think a person would notice that kind of drag if both calipers were engaged or stuck, right? I mean, I'm blonde, but not that blonde.

as it has been a while since i've had my boxster, i'm trying to remember if there are separate warning lights for brake wear and brake system. knowing how the brake wear light is triggered, i can't imagine how a brake failure would trigger the wear light. something off there.

second thing is, if the calipers are seized, i can't see how that would allow the pedal to go to the floor. and i agree about the coincidence of both failing at the same time. the mechanic may think the calipers are seized because they aren't moving but that may be due to a failure/leak elsewhere.

i like pedro's idea about the clutch slave. i've flushed my own brake fluid and had to deal with that location. it's not obvious if you're not familiar with the boxster since the clutch is to the rear of the car.

in any case, hopefully you'll update us with the results.

--
Thank you Pedro and Frogster - I relayed the message to check the clutch slave to the mechanic, and will see what he says. I appreciate the comments and will keep you posted.
Amy
Update 8/11/20
boehmaj986 - 3 years ago
Guy at the shop called to say that he really wasn't interested in working on the Boxster. No worries, plenty of choices.

So, I drove the car the 100 yds back to my work and parked it and hitched a ride home with a co-worker. That night, along comes Hurricane Isaias (sp?) right over top of us.

The next morning I got a flood of texts and pics from my co-workers that the Boxster is buried under pine tree limbs. Both front fenders have 2" dents across the very top. The fabric top has a 1/4 in hole poked through. Major scratches over hood, and from front to back on drivers side. Passenger side mirror is busted apart, more scratches there. And, other minor things.

Will see what the insurance adjuster says. Thanks all!
well that sucks. repair cost may exceed the percentage of the value of the car where insurers just write it off. that's sad.
keep us up to date on what happens.
interesting that a mechanic wouldn't want a customer. business must be good.

--
Because it was in a downpour with a rip oil the top and pine needles probably covering the drains, before you attempt to even put the ey in the ignition check for water in the carpets, especially under the drivers seat.
If you find any humidity, take out the CLU under the seat and complexly dry it out. You may have too take out the printed circuit board and dunk it in isopropyl alcohol so that all of the water is dispersed.
Good luck with the outcome.
Please let us know.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Update 8/14/20
boehmaj986 - 3 years ago
Thanks all for your responses.

Pedro - the 1/4" tear in the roof somehow did not puncture entirely through the fabric and the drains were clear (ish), so there was no water in the car at all, thankfully.

Did a video chat with the adjuster today (since they can't do in person due to COVID) and showed him all the scrapes and dents, etc.
They did an estimate for repairs over $5000, and are sending me a check. I have no idea how this does not qualify as a total loss, as the rule where I live is >75% claim = total loss.

I think my best bet at this point, with a 20+ year old car, with unknown front brake issues, is to take the money and sell the car 'as is' to someone more willing that I am to sink more $$$ into it and is willing to tinker with it. Anyone in NE SC/SE NC interested in a pretty good '99 986...let me know!

thanks again,
Amy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login