Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
They still use the PDK and in fact, the gear selection is different sequence than what appears on the manual shift knob, in fact, a computer adjusts for it. It is not sequential, at all. Here's an interesting article that loves the manual 7-speed in the 911 series, but in it, you can see how a computer seems to still change the gears, not your hand. You can see the real gear sequence vs what appears on the shift knob.

The Magnificent Seven
I don’t care if it is even fly by wire. As long as it has a shifter and 3 pedals, and makes it feel like I’m driving a manual, it’s good enough for me. I don’t think I’d ever buy a PDK 911.
Thanks for sharing. Makes me appreciate my 981S's six speed manual and NA flat six engine even more.smiling smiley
Guenter in Ontario
Thanks for sharing. Makes me appreciate my 981S's six speed manual and NA flat six engine even more.smiling smiley

Until you go to sell it and find that most buyers now want an Auto because they have never driven a stick.

I was stick only through my first 3 sport cars (Alfa, Alfa, 914) but around 1972 as traffic increased my 8 minute commute at 70 MPH morphed to 50 minutes of creeping, same route. I used the fun car for commuting, I found the auto easier on the psyche. I arrived home so much less stressed out. I can't imagine today given the stupendous increase in traffic even since then rowing through gears in the urban areas I used to frequent. Just try and find a stick shift in a rental car.

mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC
Until you go to sell it and find that most buyers now want an Auto because they have never driven a stick.

I was stick only through my first 3 sport cars (Alfa, Alfa, 914) but around 1972 as traffic increased my 8 minute commute at 70 MPH morphed to 50 minutes of creeping, same route. I used the fun car for commuting, I found the auto easier on the psyche. I arrived home so much less stressed out. I can't imagine today given the stupendous increase in traffic even since then rowing through gears in the urban areas I used to frequent. Just try and find a stick shift in a rental car.

Guess I'm lucky. I bought the car for me, not for the person I'm not going to sell it to. For me it's a keeper. I have no plans to ever sell it.

Even if I did want to sell it, I think there will be a market for manuals in sports cars for a while yet. When we sold my wife's 325Xi wagon 3 years ago, there were a number of people who wanted to buy it BECAUSE it was a manual.
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC
Guenter in Ontario

I haven’t followed Boxster prices recently, but the 997 market currently values manual models over the auto/PDK variants. There are still a lot of people who can and want to drive a sports car with a manual. I don’t use my 911 as a commuter car. It’s for fun, and I find the manual way more fun. Also, I don’t give a dang what the car is worth when I sell it. I use the car up till I’m done with it. Did so with my Boxster too. I really didn’t care what I sold it for.
If you look at older Ferraris and Aston Martin and Audi R8 you will see all of them with the manual bringing more than
the auto, even if the auto is a single or dual clutch box. Time will tell if the Porsche will do same but I guess it will.
My 981 is a PDK, but I plan on hanging onto my C7 Z51 Corvette with 7 speed and Aston V8 Vantage with 6 speed.
You also have to differentiate a daily driver from the occasional driver car. If I had to drive in DC or LA or similar no way I want a manual for
daily use.
JoeU ontheriver in VA
If you look at older Ferraris and Aston Martin and Audi R8 you will see all of them with the manual bringing more than
the auto, even if the auto is a single or dual clutch box. Time will tell if the Porsche will do same but I guess it will.
My 981 is a PDK, but I plan on hanging onto my C7 Z51 Corvette with 7 speed and Aston V8 Vantage with 6 speed.
You also have to differentiate a daily driver from the occasional driver car. If I had to drive in DC or LA or similar no way I want a manual for
daily use.
Very true that the manual versions of those older exotic cars will be worth more now because they are rare. When they no longer make the manuals for Porsches, I suspect it will be much the same. Hopefully, they don’t though, as I want to still be driving/buying them. I have never considered my Pcar as a daily driver, and agree that if it were, I’d get a PDK.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login