Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
My 2013 Boxster's inner door panels were warping at the top and separating so that it was looking decidedly downscale. My car was always garaged, but I hear this is a relatively common manufacturing defect. My mechanic said that he couldn't repair it and that the replacement panels from Porsche would cost $1300-$1500 each, plus installation.

My mechanic is a great guy, though, and he pointed me to Pedrosgarage, where he had read about a repair, but wouldn't do it himself since he had no experience with it and couldn't warranty it. But he knows I don't mind working on my own car. So I contacted Pedro and after a bit of work buying $6 worth of tools from Amazon and removing the panels myself, then buying the [expensive] correct size shipping boxes and bubble wrap, I sent them off to Pedro. A couple weeks later (took a week each way for UPS shipping from California to Florida) I got them back.

Easy to reinstall and for a total cost of $700-$800 including shipping plus shipping materials they're fixed! I wouldn't call it "like new", since the panels are still 8 years old and worn, but they definitely look age appropriate now with no signs of the ugly warping any more.

Highly recommended.

Thanks, Pedro!

cu,
Gary
I will be looking at newer Boxsters. I am thinking a 2015 or 2016 would be something I would be interested in, and I wonder if this issue has been corrected for MY 2015 and 2016.
All Porsches from 2011 to date have the same issues.
After about 6-10 years of age and mostly depending on local sunshine, temps and humidity delamination starts quickly followed by warping of the panel’s frame.
But don’t blame Porsche. The TUV mandated in 2010 that Porsche had to stop using their (solvent-based) adhesives and switch to water-based ones immediately even though the panels had been designed for the former adhesive.
I’m sure that the issue will be solved on the next design but there are quite a few cars out there that will need my help.
Happy Porsche’ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Have you seen many full leather panels warping, or cars with the Door Panel Leather Trim Package??

I assume this warping is more prevalent in drop tops than hard tops. correct?

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
The proportion of full leather vs leatherette panels that we see is 1:10 or just about what the production mix is as well.
There are two issues that happen with the panels that get mixed up or confused: delamitation and warping.
Delamination comes first, when the water-based adhesive gives up the ghost (generally accelerated by high heat conditions).
After the cover delaminates if the high heat situation persists, then the plastic base starts to warp because there is nothing else holding it in place.
That's why its important to act quickly, once you realize that delamination has started and get it repaired before warping starts.
After the panel warps, and sets, the plastic creates a new "memory" that's difficult to correct.
Door panel delamination and warping is equally prevalent in hardtops as in convertibles.
It's not about the heat generated inside the cabin, it's the heat that's generated inside the door.
Dark colored cars are more susceptible to delamination quicker than light-colored ones.
Happy Porsche'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2020 06:58PM by Pedro (Odessa, FL). (view changes)
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Question Pedro. How should I check for the delamination? I think many of us might not notice the issue until the warping becomes visible.
.. the rear edge of the panel (where the end cap is pressed in) will start to lift.

[i.ibb.co]

after that the top edge of the panel will buckle upwards.

[i.ibb.co]

Hope this helps.
Happy Porsche'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2020 09:14AM by Pedro (Odessa, FL). (view changes)
Thanks for keeping this board up and going, Pedro. There was Chuck, bless him, but posts like this are keeping the dream of PPBB alive.
Thank you Pedro. I was aware of the lifting along the top of the door, but not that it starts at the rear of the panel. I'll keep an eye out for this. Thanks again.
I noticed that my driver's door panel was lifting at the rear, like your photo. I stuck it down with hot glue from the outside, after removing that little plastic cover. Still holding. Hope it stays. Here in Canada, it never gets really hot or humid, so hopefully its O.K.
Hi Pedro,
I appreciate you keeping this site up to date.

I have a 2015 Boxster 2.0 convertible with the delamination issue on the driver's side. What is your advice on the best remedy here in Southern California?

Do you know of a shop you'd recommend?

Do you still do the repairs after shipping the panel to you?

Is the car drivable without the panel in place?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mike Gallagher
... As far as I know, I'm the only shop working exclusively on the delimitation issue.
Up to a few months ago it had been a mostly sportscar problem. We are now also repairing a lot of Cayennes as well.
99% of our volume is out-of-State and Souther CA is probably our largest supplier of delaminated panels.
If you visit my website, you'll find the information you need: [pedrosgarage.com]
You can also call me at your convenience if you prefer to talk (954) 385-0330 and I can guide you.
The car can be driven without the panels and it will not generate any error codes or dash lights.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Thank you for your response.

I've Googled cardboard boxes 48" x 24" x 8" and so far I've only found this from Uline - [www.uline.com]

Do you have alternative sourcing suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike
I used a uhaul grand wardrobe box cheap, strong and easy to find Door panel fix
Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2022 02:55PM by wewannaporsche. (view changes)
Pedro,

My new to me 2017 991.2 just had both panels replaced under CPO. Seems like a good time to have you replace the bad glue with good to cure the problem. Am I right?

Thanks!
The car I bought has the "problem", and this is a garage kept 2013
I guess at some point the panels will be going to Pedro for a fix.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login