Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
There is a build up of corrosion or some sort of alkaline/coolant deposits on the bolt and the end of the coolant pipe.

Is this on the water pump attachment bolt? Is this a sign of a problem with the water pump? How soon do I need to get this addressed?

Thanks.

2000 Boxster S. ~67K miles on the motor.

which would be a sign that the bearing in your water pump is wobbling. I would pull the serpentine belt off and wiggle the water pump pulley with your hand to confirm.
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
But, of course they found a few other things that were bad. The coolant system bleed valve had severe corrosion on it (see pic). They recommended replacing that with the coolant reservoir. Then, when the system was pressurized, the passenger side radiator leaked liked a sieve. The conclusion was that the new increased pressure caused borderline pin holes to open up more. Bad news, the price tripled from the original replacement price for just the water pump replacement.

The water pump bearing did have some play in the shaft bearing. I am glad it's all done.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/190078446@N07/albums/72157716491559598

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2020 01:59PM by Tony in Whittier. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login