Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I've seen a workaround for a cheap spare key that involves taking the transponder chip ("pill") out of a working key and permanently attaching it inside the trim surrounding the ignition. This will allow any key able to turn in the ignition to start the engine.

However, I've also seen it said that this will lead to a depletion of the battery because many of the car's functions are activated as soon as the transponder chip is noticed by the car. Does anyone know if this is true? Thanks.
Not true
Boxsterra - 3 years ago
The car doesn't look for the pill unless the ignition is on
Re: Not true
BronxBoy - 3 years ago
Thanks, that's just what I needed to know!
granted, the thief would have to know that they security system has been bypassed but still, why defeat a system meant to safeguard the car?

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Well, I have two keys, one of which does not start the engine. I'd like a spare, but my local Porsche dealer quotes me $584. Too much. This workaround would give me the wanted spare. And yes, if the screwdriver forced a complete turn of the ignition -- I don't expect that where we live.
does the key that doesn't start the engine have the RFID pill in it?
if so, then it's just a matter of programming the car to recognize that key.
i remember experimenting with my car a long, long time ago to see what would happen without the pill in the key head. i don't remember if the instrument cluster lit up or not but i do remember that the car was totally silent. none of the clicks, whirs, and buzzes that you normally get.

--
"just"
Boxsterra - 3 years ago
Without the original programming code for the key you cannot program the car to recognize the second key. Most people don't have that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2020 09:44AM by Boxsterra. (view changes)
Re: "just"
frogster - 3 years ago
what is "the original programming code?"

--
... you need to have two separate sets of codes.
One string of numbers comes from the factory with every keyless remote and immo pill.
The second set of codes, called the IPASS Codes are the "passwords" for a particular car based on the VIN.
The IPASS Codes are difficult to get because one could do a lot of irregular things with them in hand, so dealers only and select shops can get them.
When I go to program an immobilizer pill, I connect the PST-II computer to the OBD-II port and navigate to CODING.
There the computer asks me for specific IPASS codes and remote codes that I must enter.
Without any of them you cannot reprogram.

BTW, if the OP wants a new IMMO PILL with the factory codes I have them for sale. I do not have IPASS Codes.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2020 06:03PM by Pedro (Odessa, FL). (view changes)
On this topic, my original key with remote - the remote doesn’t work. So I got an Audi key cut, with the RFID slot in it, and now have a working key that’s not a worn out button key. My locksmith seemed to think he could create another RFID pill. Could he? It would be nice to have a second working key. But, it sounds like I would need two sets of codes and the Porsche only computer setup? I have the remote Key still so would it have the info necessary ? Is the info tucked away on a sticker somewhere, or, anything else we could do? 20 year old cars aren’t a hot commodity on the theft market I’m thinking... and the 500$ price for a new key does seem a bit ridiculous.
The pills are industry standard and all you need is the programming key for it in order to make it work with the Boxster.
Thank you. He said he thought he could, and would do some research, when I got the Audi key cut to my car. I just haven’t gotten back with him yet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login