Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Years ago, I bought an emergency key from (or through) my local Porsche dealership. At the time, it was PN #955-538-916-00. I can unlock and start my 987.1 Cayman S with only the emergency key, even if my battery powered keys are nowhere near the car. The key does not contain a battery.

My questions are: "Does the key contain an immobilizer (RFID) pill?" and "How does the car recognize the pill?

Thanks.

jD
The batteries in the key fobs are only for the keyless entry operation (remote).
Those keys that do not have a remote (valet key) therefore don't need batteries.
All Porsche keys (after 1986) contusion the immobilizer pill without which the car will not start.
The immobilizer pill is a passive RFID chip that is activated by proximity to the RFID reader which creates an electromagnetic field that excites the pill which reflects back to the reader a predetermined (preprogramed) sequence.
Happy Porsche'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Yep
Boxsterra - 3 years ago
It's behind the round door shown here
Re: Yep
j.davis - 3 years ago
you didn't include a pic of the part I was showing. Regardless, the car won't start without a RFID pill present.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login