Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I think this is potentially a bid deal.

The lateral most bolt on the diagonal aluminum brace is missing.

It is the bolt depicted at 10:18 of this video.
[www.youtube.com]

It seems as if that bolt is important for the alignment of the car. Who knows how long it has been missing, but I guess that means I have variable alignment.
That cannot be good.

so first question is where can I get a new one?

second question - do I need an alignment?

Third question - The bolt came out for a reason, so how do I prevent a repeat?
Look at this diagram:

[www.autoatlanta.com]

The bolt would seem to be item #10: 99907203101
The matching nut -- if there is one -- seems to be #8: 99907605301

Can be found here:
[www.pelicanparts.com]
[www.pelicanparts.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2020 09:21AM by Trygve (Oakland, CA). (view changes)
... a M10 x 45 hexagonal bolt, part number 999.072.031.01.
The reason it came out was because it was not torqued down correctly. It needs to be tightened to 65 Nm (48 lb-ft).
When you put the bolt back it may bring the alignment back as well.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Ah, message overlap. smiling smiley Whatever Pedro says is to be trusted, no doubt!
... for the endorsement Trygve.
There will be a day when I start forgetting stuff or say something that cannot be trusted. smiling smiley
Hopefully is still some years out.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Is there a nut for that bolt? I cannot tell from the image. On the car, it looks like there is no way to get in behind?

Further, the images do not suggest that it is an oblong bolt head. Therefore, I assume it does not directly affect alignment?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2020 09:38AM by JMstamford,ct. (view changes)
The rest of the cross-brace uses studs with nuts on the end but that one is a bolt that screws into the body.
... but the fact that it's missing allows the front end of the diagonal brace to move which affects alignment.
That's why I said that when you replace it, alignment should come back and not change anymore.
As Boxsterra explained above, the part of the body where the bolt goes is threaded so there is no nut to hold from behind.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

I will get the bolt and see what happens.

Let's hope for an easy fix. It just frosts me because I know the only place that bracket was removed was the dealership, when they swapped the engine several years back.
They also damaged the half shafts and some other less significant pieces.

It is not that hard for them to tighten bolts properly. It just isn't.
I just ordered from AutoAtlanta. Figured I would support them for posting the parts diagrams. It took the better part of two weeks for the bolt to be delivered. Maybe AMZN is getting me spoiled, but 2 weeks?

Anyway, the bolt seems to have worked without issue.

It was less than a 5 minute job to install - this time with blue locktite. I do not want a repeat of the thing falling out. (assuming that it fell out vs. was not installed by the dealer tech).

Officially torqued to 52 ft/lbs without issue. Yes, I know the factory spec is 48ft/lbs. But my wrench has 50 as the absolute minimum, I just wanted a little margin for error and this is not an internal engine part.

Hopefully the bolt stays put as long as I need it to.

Thanks all for the comments.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login