Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I drove up to the pump at Costco and filled the tank. When I turned the key, the car wouldn't start.

While waiting for AAA the Costco guys offered to jump start me (it didn't seem like a battery issue since the radio, lights and dash all lit up and worked). After a minute hooked up to their battery, the car turned over (of course).

So, I was able to drive home, but I'm not sure what to make of this.

I have the car attached to my new (hadn't hooked it up yet) CTek trickle charger.

Assuming it starts in the morning, should I just drive over to AutoZone/PepBoys and get a new battery and forget this ever happened, or should I take this to my mechanic and pay him to look 'under the hood'?

While I can't remember the last time the battery was changed, I haven't until now had any problems starting the car in recent memory (ie this isn't a creeping problem, but a sudden occurrence).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Andrew
In general, a regular battery will last 4-5 years. I know many go longer than that (especially if you put it on a maintainer regularly), but I’d start by changing the battery to a new one if you haven’t in over 5 years. I was stranded once on a dead battery so tend to change them out proactively every 4 years just to be safe. There’s probably a date code listed on your current battery, so you might want to check it if you can’t remember when you last changed it.
Since you did get dash lights, did the engine try to turn over at all, or was there no sound at all?

If it's just a sudden occurrence, it might be the micro switch at the clutch pedal going. Clutch has to be fully depressed to activate the switch and allow the engine to start.

I would think if it's the battery starting to go, you'd get an indication of engine turning over slower than usual to give you a warning.
So, I took it to my mechanic this AM. It was an interesting morning.

It started right up this morning and I drove it over - no problems. He checked the battery, alternator and starter - everything seemed fine.

On my drive home, the check engine light appeared, so I turned around and drove back. I have an emissions issue - he can hear the leak by the gas cap, but it isn't the gas cap. I need to go back on Monday since he has a short day on Saturday.

I stopped at the store and parked. Upon restarting, the engine caught, sputtered and died. I restarted and heard a whine from the passenger side which then went away. I drove home.

Not sure how to describe the sound when it didn't start - whir whir whir/ It wasn't like the engine was catching and trying to start.

The car is parked in the garage and I'll drive it back over on Monday.

Oof.

Andrew
More details
Boxsterra - 3 years ago
If you include more details (like specifically what happens when you try to start the car and it doesn't start and what code you got) then we may be able to help you. It sounds like you have a leak in the evap system, which is inside the fender just under the gas cap. The code would narrow it down.
Brought the car back in to Provost Motorsports in Bordentown.

Turns out a valve(?) on the emissions was broken/sticking/something (yeah, I'm *that* good in mechanic-speak!).

Porsche part is sold only as a part with the hoses on either end and lots of labor getting at both ends. Since Provost does lots of track cars where the emissions are pulled, Max pulled one off the shelf, clipped the hoses from each end and grafted into my car.

For an hour of labor, I was on my way. Having expected a brutal expense, I can't remember being so happy to look at the total of a credit card receipt as I was signing.

Andrew
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login