Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
1) Shifter cables - supposedly Porsche recommends they be swapped every 22K miles. I have never heard of a failure - and I certainly have not heard of it being a maintenance item.
2) burned headlight surrounds

Have you heard of such things?
I have read on various forums where folks have been stranded or had to limp home in a limited set of gears due to their shifter cables snapping, but not at 22k miles, and certainly have never heard of Porsche recommending replacement at that interval. There are a lot of folks recommending to change out the stock shifter and cables to a brand called Numeric racing which is supposedly a really high quality replacement that gives a rifle bolt action feel. I just don’t see anything really wrong with the stock unit in either my previous 986 or my now 997.

Headlamp surround burning? Never heard of that unless they’re talking about halogen headlamp lenses turning brown due to using the wrong wattage bulb. Sounds like BS to me.
Kernel of truth
Boxsterra - 3 years ago
The shift cable linkages are much more prone to problems than the cables themselves. And the linkages can be separately replaced (though for some reason they seem to have gone way up in price).

Yellowing of the headlight lenses is a somewhat common problem.
I had a shift cable break at around 20K miles that was luckily covered under the 4 year factory warranty. I had never heard of that when it happened to me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login