Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
[gtspirit.com]

Could it be that insistence on 3 pedals is mostly a sign of being an inflexible curmudgeon? winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Gary in SoFL
[gtspirit.com]

Could it be that insistence on 3 pedals is mostly a sign of being an inflexible curmudgeon? winking smiley

absolutely.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Ah, but the problem is, your manual is not really a manual these days. Porsche uses the PDK gear box for the manuals. You are using the stick shift to change gears instead of the levers. In PDK gear boxes, the gears are not sequential, that's why the stick isn't like the old timey sticks. So, a PDK by any other name, is still a PDK, regardless of the number of pedals or how you choose to change gears.
i think you wrote something about this a little while ago, no? i was trying to figure out what you meant and i think i did a little bit of searching but i wasn't successful.

when you say that the manual uses the pdk box, are you saying that there is no physical connection between the gearshift lever and the gears? although i'm far from an expert on transmissions, i have seen their innards in real life and in pics and videos so i am familiar with how they work. i'm really curious about this pdk business. does the manual gearbox have two clutches then? what does the clutch pedal do then? i am thoroughly confused by your statement that "Porsche uses the PDK gear box for the manuals."

if you have a source that could explain this to me, i would be very grateful.

--
CarreraLicious
They are similar, but don’t share all the same parts between the two:

[www.caranddriver.com]

great article. exactly what i needed. thanks!

--
I think 7 gears is one too many for a manual. Too easy to miss a shift.
a manual shift. He made a lot of the physical changes and Mike took the gearbox to a racing shop that modified the shift mechanisms from electronic to manual control. They also had to re-flash the ECU. Ant stated that BMW uses the same gearbox (with factory modifications) for a manual vs automatic shift preference.

Can the episode be found online and streamed?
Still learning about the 718 Cayman T, but the manual is not a "pure" manual transmission. There is the option of automatic rev matching on downshifts so that smooth downshifts can be effortlessly made.
From the C&D diagram, while the two units share parts they are quite different in architecture: two input shafts vs one, automatic wet clutches vs. manual dry clutches, etc. While I've driven neither it would seem the 'manual' is still (mostly) a manual and not (God forbid) some newer version of a 'Tiptronic' which was an abomination any way you market it...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login