Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
All of our lives ebb and flow and although some of the things we love and enjoy may have to take a "backseat" from time to time, I truly love the Boxster community. This place is always a great place to find a smile even during tough times. Like many of you, this year has been a tremendously trying year. I won't get into all of the details, but sadly, I wasn't able to spend anywhere near the time I'd like in the Boxster. Unfortunately, I only was able to put a little over 600 miles on it this year. The time has come to store it and I went out today to start it to let the newly added fuel I added with stabilizer, to cycle through the engine. It cranked, but won't fire. It has sat for only about 3 weeks, and it has been connected to a battery maintainer most (but not all) of the time. Prior to sitting, it ran flawlessly. I've never had this issue before. After not starting, I did connect it to a charger to fully charge it, and tried again. It is a 2001 S with 49K, manual transmission. I ensured the clutch was fully depressed and engaged. I have tried everything I can think of, but can't get it to fire. I have let it crank for no more than 8 seconds at at time and have tried it with and without the accelerator pressed. Any thoughts to trouble shooting?

Thanks in advance!
The easiest thing to check first is your fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay. If you open the cover to the fuse box (foot well near where your dead pedal is located), there should be a folded paper behind the cover which shows the fuse and relay locations. If those are good, then you have to investigate other items which could be a crankshaft position sensor, fuel pump, clogged fuel filter (rare), but on your 01, there is a fuel filter under the center of the car that can to be replaced. I’m sure there’s a bunch of other things that you can check but that’s all I can think of. I’m sure Pedro or Stefan can chime in and help. Sorry to hear of your troubles and hope you can figure it out quickly and enjoy the car again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2020 06:59AM by CarreraLicious. (view changes)
... sounds like the Immobilizer.
The ECU does not send power to the spark plugs hence, no start.
Is there a chance that the CLU under the driver's seat is wet?
Can you try using a second key? (different imho pill).
Other could be a bad crank position sensor (mice can gnaw the wires).
Good luck.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I got it started but I didn't really do much. As suggested I checked all the fuses and they were all good. I also checked the module under the seat - it was bone dry. I also checked the connections. Then I went to start the car and it popped right off. It ran for about 40 minutes, flawlessly. I rev'd the engine a few times and there was not an issue, smooth response. I shut it off and then tried 4 more times to start it and it started right up each time. At this point, since I now have stabilizer throughout the fuel lines and the streets have already been treated with salt, I'll put it away for the season. Hopefully it will start right up in Spring. I have to bring it in for service in the Spring to replace the coolant tank and I'll have them give it a once over for this issue as well, but hopefully it was just a fluke or a loose connection of sorts.

Thanks for all of your help!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login