Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Been eying this X97 aluminum and leather shift knob for a while. It’s cheaper to buy it with the handbrake as a combo rather than getting the knob alone. Guess I’ll install the handbrake one day if I get a short shifter or have to replace my cables. Fits on 911, Boxster and Cayman with 6-speed. It’s heavier than the standard knob. What do ya think?

That adds a nice touch to the interior.

But where's the bow? winking smiley
Ha, thanks G. I guess gifts to myself don’t warrant one. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
don't wait. install the brake! otherwise it will be one of those nagging things that hangs over your head forever.

i put a short shifter in my MY2000 boxster and loved it. maybe you should do that since it will spur you on to doing the brake handle. winking smiley

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
frogster
don't wait. install the brake! otherwise it will be one of those nagging things that hangs over your head forever.

i put a short shifter in my MY2000 boxster and loved it. maybe you should do that since it will spur you on to doing the brake handle. winking smiley

Thanks...yeh, I am still on the fence of installing the brake handle to be honest though because as nice as it looks, I’m not sure if it’s too much bling there, as I think I want the focus to be on the knob. I’ve seen the combo in some cars in photos and I’m not sure it looks as nice as the knob alone in aluminum as it is in my car now. But yeah, I probably will debate this endlessly in my mind as long as I have it sitting there uninstalled. LOL!

Current: 07 Carrera S Cab - Midnight Blue/Sand Beige
Previous: 01 Boxster - (formerly boxtaboy), 86 944, Instagram: @Carreralicious
Do you have a cab or hardtop? Would think it and the handbrake would get very hot in the summer afternoons with the top down.
I have a cab. I don’t usually park it with the top down so not that worried but I am a little worried about the handbrake handle as I usually rest my hand on that I’ve noticed. Not fully decided if I will install that part now though but probably will.
Yes, it gets hot
KeithF - 3 years ago
I have the same shifter/handbrake in my 987. Looks great but gets blazing hot in the summer. I'm sure my black interior is a contributing factor. I actually keep a pair of old driving gloves in the car and sometimes have to put the right glove on for the first minute or two if the car's been parked in the sun. Only a problem when the top is CLOSED and parked in the sun. Oddly, the shifter doesn't get that hot in the sun with the top open. Air circulation I guess...

Enjoy and install the handbrake.

2021 718 Boxster GTS 4.0, Chalk, LWBS, PCCB, 6-speed
and
2007 987 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, 6-speed
Thanks, I have a friend who has done the handbrake swap before already so he said he’d help me do it. I will wait til next spring probably. Will keep my driving gloves handy in the glove box in case it gets too hot. LOL.
I had a nice metal-knob shifter and found it often got too hot to touch (parked car, top up). I eventually tired of having to wrap a towel around it to get started and took it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2020 09:29PM by Boxsterra. (view changes)
Boxsterra
I had a nice metal-knob shifter and found it often got too hot to touch (parked car, top up). I eventually tired of having to wrap a towel around it to get started and took it out.
I hear ya. I also had an aluminum knob in my Boxster, and noticed it did get hot too at times when parked, but it didn’t bother me enough to remove it. I will live with it cause I like the look and feel so much better than the standard knob.

There is a guy that makes custom knobs for Porsches that look like the ones they put in the Carrera GT, as seen below and those are cool but I like the aluminum look more for my car.
It was actually surprisingly easy and I like the way it looks better than any of the ones I've seen for sale.

That’s pretty cool. I like the look with the shift pattern on the knob though, so would probably add that.
though I prefer to keep my passengers wondering what gear I'm in
Boxsterra
though I prefer to keep my passengers wondering what gear I'm in

I like the look of the pattern in the knob but also prefer whoever is driving the car (if not me) to know what gear is what. Lol.
Boxsterra

and here we have it folks, the winning argument for why PDK is better!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
If size matters from your picture it looks like the knob on the new one is larger than the original. If I read your post right I recall reading that resting your hand on the shift lever while driving is not a good practice. I would vote for installing the brake too.
Thanks, I guess the new knob is slightly larger than the original due to the leather inserts protruding out a bit. After driving with it for a while now, I must say I like it a lot more than the stock knob that is too light. I like the heftier and solid feel of the aluminum one. Also, I will end up installing the handbrake. Have a buddy who has already replaced the handbrake before in his car who will help me do this in the Spring. Oh, and I don’t rest my hand on the shift knob when I drive. I rest my right hand on top of the handbrake sometimes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login