Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Tried to find this on the internet with no luck. Addresses oil capacity change from 8.71 quarts to 9.24 quarts? Anyone have knowledge of what this is all about and where I can find this TSB on the internet? Thanks.
... if not all the M96 engines take 9.0 qts with a filter change.
Not so for the M97 and 9A1 engines, each model varies.
Happy Boxsrering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I am confused. Each time I change oil - on every car - the amount of oil needed to refill changes slightly.
I have always assumed that is because of the varying temperatures, the time I let the sump drip, how much oil is up in the galleries etc.

Almost always, I guess an amount. Usually 8.5 qts for the Boxster, then check and fill as needed.

I am not familiar with this TSB, maybe it has to do with the settings on a dealer fill machine? But it seems too precise (at best) for a backyard mechanic. I am pretty sure I could not measure 8.71 qts anyway...
In TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) Boxster 2/99 1 1701, Porsche increased the Oil Filling Capacity spec from 8.7 Qts. (8.25 Ltr.) to 9.25 Qts (8.75 Ltr.) w/ Filter change.

Interestingly, there has never been a TSB issued on recalibrating the Oil Level Sender or DME. Nor has there been a revision of the Sender, or the Dipstick (PET shows the same PN for all model years). In other words, Porsche revised the oil capacity, but never modified the tools for measuring this revised capacity.

So, this revision automatically created a discrepancy between the digital gauge, the Dipstick and the fill spec. Presumably then, none of them are truly correct. A correct fill should read (theoretically) slightly higher on both the Dipstick and the digital gauge. In the case of the digital gauge, where each Bar represents roughly 8oz. or 1 Cup, you should now fill to the Top Bar (formerly the Bar beneath), but it also means there is no longer an indication of an overfill. Overfill a little, or a lot, and the gauge will read the same.

But, realize that there is an 'OK' range of 7 Bars (or approx. 1.75 Qts.), and OK means OK. This range gives you a lot of lattitude, while still being able to safely operate the engine (personally, I would fill to the Bar below the Top to insure there is no overfill).

It's usually better to run a little 'low' (less than Full), than risk overfilling the crankcase by obsessing about keeping it 'Full'. Overfilling can cause the oil to foam and risk oil starvation to the bearings as well as issues with the AOS system. Keep it in the OK range and you'll never have any issues.
Thanks to all for your inputs. Still trying to find TSB on the internet, but so far no luck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login